MUMBAI GETS RADIO-ACTIVE
Ayesha Nair, 5 April 2009, Mid-Day
http://mid-day.com/news/2009/apr/050409-Bandra-Association-Community-Radio-Mumbai-news-Bandra-to-Mahim-activism-free-speech.htm

Mumbai:  Bandra association finally gets community radio sanctioned;
empowers areas from Juhu to Mahim. It now has the license to talk and make
its voice heard

Next time you make a comment about the apathetic nature of the public, think
again. The ever-active citizens from the Khar-Bandra-Santacruz area have
pursued, and received, a letter of intent (LOI) to launch their own
community radio station.

This would not be the first community radio station in the country but
definitely the first of its kind in the city.

Many educational institutions, NGOs and civil society organisations across
the country run community radio channels. The Mumbai University runs a
successful community radio station on 107.8 FM.

FROM MAHIM TO JUHU

Union Park Residents' Association (UPRA) is a step closer to receiving a
license to begin their community radio station. They hope to have the
station, which will beam from Pali area, up and running by June. Their
frequency would cover the area from Mahim to Juhu.

Traditionally, a community radio service caters to the interests of those
within a certain geographic area and fill in the need for localised
information that large radio stations overlook. However, the intent is to
make listeners aware and keep them informed about the happenings in their
area.

13-14 AGENDA-DRIVEN SHOWS

The basis of UPRA's community radio station is similar. Says senior citizen
Navin Chandra, who is spearheading this initiative, "We have 13-14 varied
programmes that will concentrate on issues like water and electricity
conservation, health, and education." Radio jockey Brian Tellis who is
putting together content for the station, says, "The language of
communication will be English, Hindi and Marathi. Programmes will be geared
towards the environment, city and how we can respect the space we live in
and better it."

Environmentalist Darryl D'Monte says it will give a voice to the people:
"Decision makers need to listen to them (the public). Ward officers can
hardly look at a website." Corporator Adolf D'Souza thinks the radio station
is a way forward: "Like any means of communication, it's a powerful medium.
People want to know what is happening in their locality. It is also a novel
way of keeping people informed and definitely a step forward." MP Priya Dutt
who has supported this initiative believes it is a great platform for people
to communicate with their representatives and have discussions with leaders.
"Electoral awareness can be created. People can be made aware of the role of
the corporator and the MLA. They can also have discussions with electoral
representatives," she says.

Keeping authorities in check
A radio station of this nature will help keep authorities in check.
Listeners would be aware of issues like roads who are the builders,
contractors, what is the deadline and what progress has taken place, thus
ensuring credibility and swift work.

The station might have the backing of a political leader but Tellis says
that it will not have a political agenda or political affiliations.
Entertainment might find its way on to the station but it would not be
entertainment for entertainment's sake. He also hopes that the famous names
that reside in Bandra and Juhu will come on board but reiterates that it
would be agenda-driven and not personality.

BRINGING COMMUNITIES TOGETHER

Like the name suggests, community radio plays an important part in bringing
together the various sections and communities that are their listeners. The
Mahim-Juhu area which will receive this station has a variety of communities
and those involved with the station hope to bring them together.

Tellis says, "The purpose is to build community. It will reach out to all
demographics and communicates with the different strata of society."
However, there is skepticism about the initiative as well. Activist Teesta
Setalvad says, "If it is consistent and effective it can become a pressure
group but the question is, would it be an inclusive one that caters to all
sections of the neighbourhood community or only one? Are such associations
concerned with salaries we pay our domestic help? What about provident fund
and medical? Are they bothered about the conditions of work for the panwalla
and the dudhwalla and schooling of their children? That would be a truly
inclusive community."

THEY NEED MONEY

Since the dynamics of the listeners is varied, basing it on an exciting
model of a community radio station would not have worked in their favour. So
the model was built to suit the interests of these communities. However, a
fair bit of research was undertaken and social surveys were conducted, says
Tellis. The process, though, was tough. The letter of intent was granted
after a year of application. Chandra says, "It is quite a difficult and
time-consuming process. The ministries are in Delhi and you have to apply
there. It has taken us more than a year (to receive the LOI)." Such a
proposition is also expensive. URPA might have the backing of local leaders
but they are falling short on funds. "The station cannot run on a few
thousand chips. You have to hire staff and equipment. Not many are ready to
support the initiative (financially). There is resistance," says Chandra.

TRAINING COMMUNITIES

Nomand India Network is a non-government affiliated organisation that helps
set up community radio stations across the country. It's a group of five
individuals spearheaded by Hemant Babu and its outreach coordinator is
Michelle Chawla.

Nomand India Network provides institutions with training, assistance in
setting up studios and provides them with affordable equipment. Chawla says,
"We strongly believe that content should be locally driven. The government
aims to have community radio in rural areas. Many local musicians approach
these stations. It also generates employment and educates people in
technology.

"The UPRA did approach us and visit our centre in Dahanu for training but it
was a while ago." She believes that there is a great space for community
radio as there is no diversity among the regular stations.

Chawla lists the crucial parameters laid down by the government for
community radio stations:
>>50 per cent of the content should be locally generated
>>The Effective Radiated Power (ERP) should be 100 watts, which on a flat
surface covers 10-12 kms
>>The height of the mast should be 30 metres from the ground

'IT'S A GREAT BOON''

Ashish Jagtiani, aka Jaggu, radio jockey on 94.3 Radio One speaks about
commercial and community radio:

"Firstly, let's get rid of the notion that commercial radio and community
radio are competitors; far from it. Done well, they could complement each
other. If commercial radio is local to the city, community is as local as a
suburb. Commercial radio allows you to play the newest songs, get the who's
who, create some great productions and ideally make some money.

"Community radio stations have a more specific geography to cover and
needn't have to make money.

Community radio allows you to focus on civic and municipal issues specific
to your area; it helps in spreading learning and education. It could be a
forum to resolve local issues. It's a great boon to learn more about your
immediate community.

"Because of budget constraints and licensing issues, they may not play all
the hit songs and the big guests that commercial radio does. But that allows
them to innovate, get in new bands and promote local talent. Commercial and
community radio put together gets you your daily dose of music, fun,
awareness and education."