Maoist threat closes down private radio
PTI, Kathmandu, April 25, 2009

Radio Parbat, the only community radio operating in Parbat district of
western Nepal has been shut down indefinitely due to threats by Maoists.

The FM radio went off air after cadres of the ruling Unified Communist Party
of Nepal (Maoist) threatened to detonate a bomb, according to the radio
staff.

A group of youths vandalised the main door of the radio's office and also
warned of serious consequences soon after the Maoists staged a torch rally
in front of the radio office.

"They telephoned us and threatened to bomb our office if we did not stop
broadcasting," said Tulasi Ram Sharma, Vice Chairman of Rural Awareness
Society that runs the radio.

Sharma said Maoists have been issuing threats against them alleging that
they dismissed employees and did not provide them remuneration.

The Maoists have alleged that the radio management forcibly sacked its
station manager Yaman Prasad Poudel and accountant Shanti Subedi.

However, Maoist district secretariat member Bishnu Lamichhane has denied
charges that it has issued threats.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=NLetter&id=298f37af-3889-4224-9c85-d15fea387d6b&Headline=Maoist+threat+closes+down+private+radio