I would like to group resources in Krita in sets, so we can have sets of
brushes, gradients, patterns -- whatever. As far as I can tell, the file
formats we use now do not support that. Right now, brushes (gih, gbr, abr
etc.) are my top priority.

I can think of a couple solutions:

* group resources by directory: resources in a certain subdirectory belong to
a set
* (ab)use the name field in the existing resource file format to provide
grouping, for instance by using a scheme like "set/subset/name"
* try to add set and subset fields to the file formats
* add a meta file matching every file that contains the extra categorisation
data. (and perhaps group metafile and resource file in an archive)

Right now, I like adding the categorisation inside the name field of the
resource best, but I'm open for anything that may come out of a discussion.