On 11/20/2014 05:06 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:
Hi

On 20 November 2014 21:45, Nathan Willis <nwil...@glyphography.com <mailto:nwil...@glyphography.com>> wrote:

    So HarfBuzz is responsible for detecting the presence of OT tables and
    making that info available at higher levels? I thought it was focused
    on shaping pretty exclusively.

Shaping is merely OpenType features that are applied by default for the script to work.

OpenType features that are optional also require an OpenType engine (such as harfbuzz) to be applied.

    Obviously making the table data accessible is a prereq; I've never
    been totally clear on whether that's Freetype, HarfBuzz, or Pango's
    job....

FreeType is just a rasterizer.

Pango was used to do font layout, but its conceptually separate from Pango's main purpose, so it was removed to the separate harfbuzz library which could be used by any text layout engine - initially also Qt, whose dev team was duplicating the same effort to make a font shaper, and more recently Android.

This sounds like BOF or workshop material for the next LGM.

Greg