On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Christian-Emil Smith Ore <
c.e.s....@iln.uio.no> wrote:

> The design of the faces of  a coin is usually the result of a human's
> intentional work.
> F2 Expression:
> " This class comprises the intellectual or artistic realisations of works
> in the form of identifiable immaterial objects, such as texts, poems,
> jokes, musical or choreographic notations, movement pattern, sound pattern,
> images, multimedia objects, or any combination of such forms that have
> objectively recognisable structures. The substance of F2 Expression is
> signs."

I think that *substance* is also a useful concept here.

I would postulate that for CRM purposes, ten €100 gold coins struck in the
3rd year of the reign of Emperor Millibus,  displayed by a museum on Great
Russell Brand St, then seized, melted down, struck in the form of  ten 100
Farange coins, then returned and displayed, would be considered to be the
same ten coins, even though they are constituted of the same gold.

Similarly, if half of the euro coins are swapped with indistinguishable
coins from the same issue, the collection before and after would not be
considered to be unchanged.

If one accepts this stance, then it follows that each coin is considered to
be an individual.  It is possible that one might consider the sets of coins
to also be individuals.

If the exchange rate is pegged at €1 = 1 Farange, the intrinsic and fiat
value all the sets of coins is the same.  In a CHO context this ought not
to affect ones stance on the identity of the two sets (in a CHF setting,
different concepts may apply).

Coins were created to express  propositions ("This thing weighs <x units>",
"This thing is made of Electrum", "Made in Lydia", "Lions are cool").  They
are information bearing objects, and this information distinguishes the
coinage from an equivalent weight of metal.  (I would consider them to be
documents, but that stance is not necessary)

Simon

[ I use future hypotheticals to allow for knowledge of the coins history
without requiring time travel. However,
http://davidtennantontwitter.blogspot.com/2012/07/david-tennant-doctor-who-banknote-in.html
]