Dear Wolfgang, Martin, and all,

My Edge contribution does not put into question the CIDOC-CRM, or the hermeneutic circle in general. The argument is that quantitative measurement accelerates the process and extends beyond the reach of qualitative inquiry.

For a more extended account with figures, please take a look at
Maximilian Schich: Figuring out Art History. DAH-Journal 2 (2016) [to appear]
Preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/1512.03301 (22 Oct 2015)

Please let me also answer your questions briefly...

Martin's questions:

 * Like glaciers, frozen models still move and are often beautiful and
   vital as a "reference". ;)
 * The initial hypotheses may be established in a traditional way:
   Facebook for example has updated their traditional gender-model from
   male/female to a list of 250 genders, emerging from user input,
   characterized by a frequency distribution and temporal dynamics that
   can only be measured in a quantitative way. The emerging ENRON email
   structure versus ENRON's defined corporate hierarchy is another good
   example for the need of quantification.
 * Yes, after measurement, disproving hypotheses, and finding a way out
   of Uri Alon's "cloud of uncertainty" (aka science), the loop needs
   to be closed (by engineering). Therefore, the CRM-SIG will be even
   more important than before (doing both science and engineering).
 * I use the word "measurement" in the sense of Max Planck, who claimed
   that any observation of the "real world" is subject to measurement
   bias, either due to imperfections in our tools or our own sensory
   organs.
 * Quantity is not indicating quality per se. But quantification can
   reveal hidden quality as "more is different".
 * There is no confusion: Cultural research is part of the cultural
   process itself.
 * Yes, physicists are aiming to improve physics by studying
   interaction patterns between physicists => Sinatra et al. Nature
   Physics 11, 791-796 (2015) doi:10.1038/nphys3494 (cf. final paragraph)

Wolfgang's questions:

 * Of course, data comes from databases old and new. In fact, analyzing
   old datasets most interesting, as their data models were usually
   formulated decades ago, without knowing the emerging complex
   patterns that result from "local activity" by curators and the
   heterogeneity of granular data collected over time.
 * The data and method of our Science paper is published in the
   Supporting Online Material (free access to the Science website via
   www.cultsci.net). This allows for reuse and feedback of conceptual
   ideas by others. I assume all steps of the hypercycle will have
   their own publication stream, feeding into following steps.
 * Our conceptual reference models are out of sync with (a) a large
   number of databases with tens of thousands of entity and property
   types, and (b) massive amounts of data where the entire ontological
   structure is hidden (for example in plain tagging/category systems).
   In both cases, quantification is essential to model the emerging
   structure and dynamics, and eventually update our conceptual models.

In sum, all stages of the hermeneutic hypercycle are essential. Quantification will play an important part. But this does not mean traditional ontology engineering will go away.

Best regards,
Max

*Dr. Maximilian Schich*
Associate Professor, Arts & Technology
Founding member, The Edith O'Donnell Institute of Art History

*/The University of Texas at Dallas/*
800 West Campbell Road, AT10
Richardson, Texas 75080 – USA
US phone: +1-214-673-3051