Dear Martin & Christian-Emile

> Il giorno 20 feb 2016, alle ore 18:49, martin <mar...@ics.forth.gr> ha
> scritto:
>
> Dear Franco,
>
> This rises two important methodological questions (also supporting
> Christian-Emils response) :
>
> On 19/2/2016 3:50 μμ, Franco Niccolucci wrote:
>> The correct definition mentioned by Christian-Emile refers to what I would
>> call “stand-alone” intangible heritage.
>>
>> But, there is always an intangible component in tangible heritage, for
>> example what turns a stone into heritage.
> In the CRM, as a principle, we reject this inversion of agency or causality,
> which is common in the scholarly discourse: The stone does nothing, it does
> not change. Therefore it cannot turn into heritage.

I never said that. I said (it is written above): “what turns a stone into
heritage”. The stone is the grammatical object, i.e. the entity that is acted
upon by the subject (here “what”). If you prefer, the same sentence may be
stated: “a stone is turned into heritage by its intangible heritage component”.

> Only people can start regarding it as heritage. People regarding it as
> heritage will be supported by evidence about how people treat the stone or
> refer to the stone.  When the stone becomes (passively) heritage, there must
> be human activities which are the cause, including human products such as
> texts, paintings etc.

A painting (for example representing rites performed on that stone) cannot do
anything, it is a painting. Instead, it is somebody’s interpretation of the
painting and identification of the two stones, the material one and the
depicted one (sort of mental de-referencing), that identifies, or perhaps
defines, the intangible component of the material stone. Even a quotation in an
ancient text “Franco’s stone was sacred to the religion of the Francos” does
not suffice, as again you must identify the two stones, the one quoted and the
one you have in your hand.

> All this can be quite well documented in the CRM. If the stone were the
> cause, different cultures couldn't have different perceptions about the
> stone. So, I am not sure what else we would like to put into a formal
> ontology? If we have evidence that the stone itself changes, we will model it.

I never said the contrary. But I am not sure (probably my ignorance) that all
the passages are correctly documented:

1. There is a stone (call it A) in the real world (probably an E18 Physical
Thing)
2. There is a stone (call it B) mentioned in a source (a text, a painting).
This is not a material stone, it is a conceptual one,
3. The two stones are "the same”, or, better, the conceptual stone B in the
source may be associated to (identified with?) the physical one, A.
4. Somebody has made the above association.
5. This makes stone A an “interesting” thing.
If any of the above passages is removed (because it is wrong, it is a fake,
whatever) Stone A loses much if its interest.

Below two serious and a hilarious examples.

First example (real, courtesy Achille Felicetti). "It comes and goes"

In the 1970s’ a famous linguistic professor, Lejeune, had an Hungarian student,
Harmatta, also to become a famous scholar in linguistics, who told him about
the discovery in a part of ancient Pannonia (now Hungary) of some Venetic
inscriptions on a stone [our stone A], found in an excavation by Elisabeth
Jerem, a well-reputed archaeologist whom most of you will know and who did not
report about the “inscriptions". That language until then was believed to be
spoken only in Veneto by the Veneti. Based on images of the inscriptions that
the student brought to France, Harmatta graduated and published academic
studies. Lejeune also published further work endorsing his student's paper, and
a whole corpus was built about the Veneti of Pannonia. [My comment: this turned
the “engraved” stone into heritage, and the stone entered the Pecs museum
holdings]
In the early 1990's two Italian professors, Prosdocimi and Marinetti, went to
Hungary to see first hand the artifacts. Once at the museum of Pecs, they
looked at all the material cited in Harmatta's paper, and there were no
inscriptions!
What had believed to be an inscription were simply natural scratches on the
stone!! It then resulted that Lejeune had never seen the stone, only poor
images of it.
This finding was then indipendently confirmed by Austrian scholars, and is now
universally accepted. (See: A.L. Prosdocimi,  Sulle inesistenti iscrizioni
venetiche di Pannonia, in "Rivista di Epigrafia Italica", sezione di "Studi
Etruschi" 58, 1992, pp.315-316).

Thus stone A is “turned" by the first (Harmatta’s) “discovery” into heritage,
the witness of Venetic presence in modern Hungary, and documented as such: E24
Physical Man-made Thing P128 carries E34 Inscription P2 has type E55 Type
“Venetic”.

But in 1992 the stone A is “returned” by Prosdocimi to its pristine state of
irrelevant pebble: E19 Physical Thing P56 bears feature E26 Physical Feature
(scratches).

Note that in the meanwhile the stone that we call A is unaware of all these
intellectual twiddles and academic fights, and lies in the Pecs museum in a
happy ataraxia state, as it has done for millennia.

My point is that the first, pre-1992, statement is not factual, as demonstrated
by later research; interpretation should be acknowledged as such.
Christian-Emile’s ontologist should be aware of this, and avoid endorsing
dubious interpretations (actually, interpretations are always dubious) by
recording them as facts: “carries inscription”, are you sure? No, you just
trust Harmatta and Lejeune without saying it, so you should say “carries
inscription ACCORDING to Harmatta etc."
However, in most cases the interpretation is stable and pacific, so the
documenter may be content with a synthetic statement, i.e. without mentioning
the whys.
The issue is that the underlying ontology must allow for such specification,
when required, and this leads us in a risky route. Were Harmatta and Lejeune
talking of this stone, the one we call A? Or maybe another one which was
lost/discarded/...

Back to the Pecs stone, or stone A as I call it: it has oscillated between
being tangible heritage, and being just rubbish, with two different
documentations, both correct at some time, but with no physical change.

This shows that the documentation may change with any change in the documented
object, contrarily to what Martin states above.

Second example (real, courtesy of Sorin Hermon). “To be or not to be, that is
the question”

The Venus of Berekhat Ram is a pebble found on the Golan Heights, which by its
discoverer was claimed to be a female figurine, or as it is usually called, a
“Venus”. The artifact dates from Middle Palaeolithic (230.000 BC). It is
significant, because the oldest female figures known so far are dated around
50.000 BC.

Other scholars dispute this claim, as it is unclear:
a) if the scratches on the surface were man-made, and (a’) intentional, i.e.
carvings
b) if such carvings were made with the intention of representing something
c) if the representation concerns a female.

The full story with images is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Berekhat_Ram

So what is this? Heritage or not? Possible heritage? And how do we document it?

a) E19 Physical Thing P56 bears feature E26 Physical Feature P2 has type E55
Type “scratches"
a') E24 Physical Man-made Thing P56 bears feature E26 Physical Feature P2 has
type E55 Type “carvings”
b) E24 Physical Man-made Thing P65 shows visual item E38 Image
c) E24 Physical Man-made Thing P62 depicts (P62.1 mode of depiction E55 Type
“carvings”) E38 Image P2 has type E55 Type “Venus”

Third example (fictitious, and a bit joking to relieve you from the pain of
reading up to here; courtesy Lehar for names and plot).
In the National Archaeological Museum of Pontevedro, among the exhibits there
is a stone coming from the archaeological site excavated by Count Danilo. The
stone is of difficult interpretation, however it is considered part of the
Pontevedran heritage as it is kept and exhibited in the national museum
[heritage is what museums consider as such]. After many discussions and coups
de theatre, the museum director, Count Zeta, decides to ask Danilo why they
brought that stone to the museum. It comes up that the archaeological team used
that stone just to keep a door open and avoid that the wind slams it; it was
packed with other similar stones, these being “real" heritage assets, by the
movers when the excavation was closed, and when it arrived at the museum it was
part of the “heritage” package, so it went on display. In the meanwhile, Danilo
has fallen in love with Hanna, a rich museum sponsor, and they marry, what
secures funding to archaeology forever - but that’s another story...

This example shows that being heritage or not may depend on randomness. It is
fictitious, but an example of the opposite case i.e. real heritage
misunderstood as rubbish is reported here:
http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/modern-art-exhibit-mistaken-for-trash-and-thrown-away/.

In conclusion, the moral is that Christian-Emile’s ontologist should not embark
in deciding whether the stone is true heritage or fake one. But the underlying
ontology should provide tools to convey the expert’s opinion about it and the
documentation activity should also bear in mind - often taking the liberty of
disregarding it for practical reasons - that the nature of things is not
built-in, stamped in the things themselves, as sometimes we are prone to
believe.

Although men are not (yet) telepathic, Martin, there are methods (e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_method) supporting scientific
communication to increase our knowledge and enable reasoning. If incapable to
deal with them, an ontology is just a sophisticated way of setting up an
(uninteresting) inventory of stuff.

Best

Franco