From: Crm-sig [mailto:crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr] On Behalf Of Robert
Sanderson
Sent: 14 April 2017 17:36
To: Christian-Emil Smith Ore <c.e.s....@iln.uio.no>; 'crm-sig'
<Crm-sig@ics.forth.gr>
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] E78 Collection vs E19 Physical Object

Dear Christian-Emil, all,

Yes – I’ve followed 270 over its evolution.  To me, there are still two issues
not addressed in 270:

1. E78 curated aggregation is not a descendant of the class used for general
aggregations E19.
2. There are a lot of aggregations that do not fit into the scope notes.

For 1, if it’s accepted as an issue to be solved, then I propose that E78
become a sub-class of E22 Man Made Object

Currently E78 is a sub-class of only E24.
E22 is a sub-class of both E19 and E24.
Thus the simplest change to have E78 descend also from E19 is to move E78 to be
a child of the existing E22.

Or, more comprehensively, introduce a new class below E19 for Sets, and move
P57 to it, then make E78 a child of the new class and of E24.
If P57 is intended to be used for more than membership, then it should instead
be on E18 along with P46.

For 2, I would propose to remove the following text from E78’s scope note:

“over time for a specific purpose and audience, and according to a particular
collection development plan.”

An art dealer’s stock is assembled for a specific purpose, I think curated is
appropriate, arguably for the audience of art buyers (which seems a bit
meaningless), but unless you count “buy low, sell high” as a collection
development plan, it does not fit under E78.  Ditto Auction lots, consignments,
personal collections, and so forth.  Personal collections probably fail the
specific purpose clause, unless “my amusement” counts as a purpose.

That said, if issue 1 is solved, I would also be happy with simply changing the
reference to E19 in the E78 note:

From:   This is because they form wholes either because they are physically
bound together or because they are kept together for their functionality.
To:  This is because they do not have collection plans that are followed over
time.

A Collection could be physically bound together. A Collection could be kept
together for its functionality. The importance is the management of it, not the
physical composition or subjective reason for the particular grouping.

Rob