On 11/9/2018 12:14 AM, Franco Niccolucci wrote:
Martin,

I agree with you, E60 Number is a jack-of-all-trades and can be a couple, a
triple, whatever numeric value or set of values as long as it is clear what is
what.

So for ancient/nonstandard/local units such as ft & inches or Roman cubitus I
would add:

E58 Measurement Unit “ft&inches” P70 is documented in E31 Document “F.W Clarke,
Weights Measures and Money of all Nations. Appleton & C. New York 1888”.

Incidentally, Prof. Clarke (from the U. of Cincinnati) wrote in the
introduction “Our three sets of weights, our three different gallons, and our
two dissimilar bushels, all unrelated to each other, or to the units of length,
must soon give way before the simplicity and elegance of the metric system.
That this event my soon happen [...] is the sincere wish and hope of the
writer.” 130 years have passed since then, at no avail.

Thus, I would at least regard any such unit (system) as local or historical,
and therefore needing a reference description: otherwise for me - and for any
scientist - that value of 3 ft 6 inches could equally well be the distance of
Alpha Centauri from the Earth, or the size of a bacterium.

Best

Franco

By the way, reference to ISO1000:1992 in the E58 scope note should be updated to
ISO80000:2009, superseding ISO1000 and in force for some 10 years now; probably also
referencing the so-called "BIPM SI Brochure" would be OK.
We'll update!

Best,

martin

Removing all reference to non-SI units from the scope note description would
also be desirable: there is no such thing as “internationally recognized non-SI
terms”, who gives this “international recognition” if not the BIPM?
Of course they may remain in the examples, together with the recommendation of
preserving archaic measurement units.

F.

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence
Scientific Coordinator
ARIADNEplus - PARTHENOS

Editor-in-Chief
ACM Journal of Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH)

Piazza Ciardi 25
59100 Prato, Italy

Il giorno 8 nov 2018, alle ore 21:00, Martin Doerr <mar...@ics.forth.gr> ha