On 15/11/2018 21:28, Martin Doerr wrote:
Dear All,

I would expect that the library or archival community do have a good practice
how to "squeeze" a compound name, such as :
"His Majesty Dr. Snoopy Hickup Miller Jr", with respective separators, in a
machine readable string, that could be used as custom datatype in an
rdfs:Literal as one instance of Appellation, rather than defining all possible
name constituents as individual rdf properties.

Could be a MARC string? XML? TEI?

This would be very helpful for our users.
Martin,

I'm pretty sure that the most recent attempt at doing this will be the subfield
markers ($a, etc.) in MARC. which date from the era of punched cards.  The
requirement that all of the name appears in a single string will rule out
anything that might have been done in XML (where you might typically use
attributes or subelements) or TEI (which is, after all, simply an XML
application).

It's a nice idea, which follows the approach of encoding one 'compound' value
as a single string, but I don't think we will find a ready-made standard for it.

Richard

Best,

Martin

--