Dear all,

There were three issues that came up with E78 … the scope note being, I think,
the least concern.

  1.  The scope note is very specific that the collection is assembled,
maintained, curated, preserved over time for a specific purpose and audience
according to some plan, and that “collective objects” such as a tomb of gifts
or a folder of stamps, should instead be E19. An auction lot is not maintained
or preserved over time.  The semantics could be weakened to allow for “sets of
physical objects that are collected for some purpose” (or similar) but then
there are the following two concerns …
  2.  What is the End of Existence / Destruction of an E78?  For example, when
an auction lot is sold there is still a reference to it in the auction catalog,
but the physicality of the aggregation is potentially ended. If an art dealer
buys the lot, then they’re very unlikely to sell the objects together or even
record that it was a lot. But there’s no Destruction event, as each of the
members remains untouched. The scoping decision documented in E6 would suggest
that the E78 is transformed (as the matter is preserved but the identity is
lost) … but E81 is documented as being the simultaneous Destruction and
Production that preserves the substance with a different nature of identity.
The member objects are not modified or destroyed in any way.
  3.  (2b) Similarly, even if all of the members are destroyed, the auction lot
persists as an entity of discourse. We can talk about the auction lot that
collected two paintings that were then destroyed completely by fire. This makes
it, in my view, a Conceptual Object.
  4.  E78 can only include physical things, yet there are frequently auctions
(or other groupings) that include both physical things and non-physical, such
as the right to perform a particular piece of art or theatre. This also impacts
the ongoing rights discussion (how to do you acquire the right to perform?),
but the inclusion in the auction lot is mostly orthogonal to this.

Thus the set of objects seems conceptual, not physical … meaning something like
a Set class that has members, rather than a Physical class that has parts. This
could also be appropriate as a super-class for Group, I think, in that we can
talk about a set of people that is not an Actor – this would solve the gender
issue, as there is a set of all persons that identify as female, without
implying a Group that is necessarily able of taking coherent action.

Rob