All

I do not think it is good practice to limit access to deprecated resources by intercepting requests. A general coded response may trigger an exception in a consuming application, but no appropriate action can be taken until the specific reason is known. In the case of deprecation, appropriate action might include replacing the deprecated resource in the local application, removing the deprecated resource, or leaving it untouched (in which case the application remains out of synch with the CRM - but that is their choice).

I think it is better to return deprecated resources on request, but clearly mark them as deprecated. A consuming application can set up an exception when the mark is encountered (or not, if synchronization is not an issue).

I don't think there is any commonly-agreed method of marking the status of resources. For what it's worth, the RDA Registry uses a local status property and coded value (see http://www.rdaregistry.info/rgAbout/updates/deprecation.html).

Redirection to a 'better' or replacement non-deprecated resource can be handled by publishing a mapping from the deprecated resource. Again, this is more flexible for consuming applications, and is also easier to maintain and manage. Human redirection can be handled by a comment attached to the resource.