Dear Martin,

> I must admit that I cannot easily answer large e-mails that mix up several
> issues.

Yes, sorry for the mess.

> Firstly, a philosophical question for the below: Why do make the distinction
> of known knowledge? The CRM FOL are explicitly about being, not (only) about
> knowing.  If you implicitly argue that the CRM should describe only known
> knowlegde, I'd recommend you to read the paper by Carlo Meghini (and me)
> formalizing the CRM, and we discuss details!😁

I did read it. I skipped the skolemisation part and only read the Wikipedia
article, though  :-)

The term "known knowledge" was not good. Let's go with "current knowledge"
instead.

I don't say that the CRM should describe only current knowledge. I do say
specifically about P7 that it should make up its mind whether it is about being
or about knowing. Concretely, I suggest that P7 statements should only describe
what is currently known, especially since it is so important to you to model
finding the best known approximation of the phenomenal place. In other words, I
see P7 as a "declarative property" that encodes explicit attestations and
inferred knowledge. P161, on the other hand, is a "phenomenal property" and
about being rather than knowing. Both are fundamentally different. I think it
is pointless to soften this up by saying that all places between the phenomenal
place and an attested P7 are also P7. Then one has to distinguish between known
and as-yet-unknown P7. Take this scale of P7 statements from small to big:

phenomenal place
… P7 places that are as-yet-unknown
… the smallest inferrable P7
… some inferred P7
… an explicit attestation
… more inferred P7
… the largest explicit attestation that we know of and still regard as P7
… places that are regarded as too big to be P7
… planet Earth

So, my point is that the "P7 places that are as-yet-unknown" part at the
beginning of the scale obscures the semantics of P7 and is neither useful nor
necessary. It is enough to be able to find the smallest inferrable P7.

In particular, I used to think that the relationship between P161 and P7 is
vaguely similar to "has current X" and "has former or current X",  but I now
think it is pointless to say P161(x,y) ∧ E4(x) ⇒ P7(x,y) because it says that
the phenomenal place is automatically the best P7 approximation of itself, only
that it can never actually be known.

Even if you see it differently, would you agree that my interpretation of P7 is
consistent and "does the job"?

> Secondly,
>
> I am a bit at loss what you mean by S1,S2,S2a.

Perhaps my description was too terse.

S1: P7 contains P161 (not "P7 => P161" as I wrote earlier)
* this is the first statement in the FOL block of P7 (after the domain and
range statements)
* S1 states that each P7 provides an approximation of P161
* the exact form of S1 is discussed at length below

S2: P7 => all places between phenomenal place and P7 are also P7
* this is the second statement in the FOL block of P7
* S2 covers the scale above from "phenomenal place" to "the largest explicit
attestation that we know of and still regard as P7"
* i.e. mixing up being and knowing

S2a: S2 but with P7 instead of P161
* this is the version of the second statement where the term P161(x,z) is
replaced by P7(x,z)
* S2a covers everything between pairs of known P7
* if we can reach "the smallest inferrable P7", it covers the scale above from
"the smallest inferrable P7" to "the largest explicit attestation that we know
of and still regard as P7"
* i.e. purely about knowing

F: the (explicitly named) intersection of two P7 is also P7
* F makes sure that we can indeed reach "the smallest inferrable P7"
* i.e. purely about knowing

> I regard that P7(x,y) ∧ E53(z) ∧ P161(x,z) ⇒ P89(z,y) is wrong. It is
> definitely that P7 implies that there exists a spatial projection inside the
> y in the same reference space. NOT, that if a spatial projection exists, it
> is inside the Y.

It doesn't mean that. The convention in the CIDOC CRM document is that implicit
quantifiers are always "for all", not "exists". So it's more like "if z is the
spatial projection".

P161 is one of the thingies that behave like a function. It depends on x and a
reference system, and it exists independently of any P7. Let's call this
function F161. It is defined as
z = F161(x) ⇔ P161(x,z)

The reference system is conveniently left out here but could easily be added as
a second variable u, as in F161(x,u). With the usual implicit (∀x,y), all the
following statements are equivalent:

P7(x,y) ⇒ (∃z) [E53(z) ∧ P161(x,z) ∧ P89(z,y)]
P7(x,y) ⇒ (∀z) [E53(z) ∧ P161(x,z) ⇒ P89(z,y)]
P7(x,y) ∧ E53(z) ∧ P161(x,z) ⇒ P89(z,y)  with an implicit (∀z)

P7(x,y) ⇒ (∃z) [z = F161(x) ∧ P89(z,y)]
P7(x,y) ⇒ (∀z) [z = F161(x) ⇒ P89(z,y)]
P7(x,y) ∧ z = F161(x) ⇒ P89(z,y)  with implicit (∀z)

P7(x,y) ⇒ P89(F161(x), y)

We haven't introduced function symbols yet. From the remaining versions I chose
the one with P161 on the left-hand side because then I don't need to write down
the implicit "for all" and can pretend there is no quantifier for z at all.

Best,
Wolfgang