Dear all,

In an email exchange we have discussed the term 'weak inverse shortcut'
introduced in Meghini & Doerr. The conclusion is that the term is problematic
and Martin redefined it as

' an instance of the shortcut property implies an instance of each of the
properties and classes in the corresponding long path', or simply 'an instance
of the shortcut implies an instance of the long path'.

Under the discussion of issue 616 'shortcuts in P50 has current keeper, P52 has
current owner, P55 has current location' it became clear to me that axioms of
the form

'lefthandside(x,y)⇒ (∃z)[righthandside(x,y,z)]'

are not ideal in a KB since the process to  find a possible z is time consuming
or worse. For an efficiency point of view we should try to avoid these
constructs.

There are two tasks remaining  in this issue

1) Find a good term

2) identify all possible 'weak inverse shortcut'  in the CRMBase and the models

In CRM base one can find the possible WIS by a text search '⇔' or variants over
 'implies'

Six of the shortcuts in CRM are of the form <the long path> is equivalent to
<the shortcut property>. These are:
P125 used object of type (was type of object used in),
P156 occupies (is occupied by),
P167 was within (includes),
P171 at some place within,
P172 contains
P195 was a presence of (had presence)

In addition P7 and P156 implies a long path:

P7 took place at (witnessed):

Therefore, this property implies the more fully developed path from E4 Period
through P161 has spatial projection, E53 Place, P89 falls within to E53 Place,
where the intermediate place is also defined in the same geometric system.

P156 occupies (is occupied by):
This property implies the fully developed path from E18 Physical Thing through
P196 defines, E92 Spacetime Volume, P161 has spatial projection to E53 Place.
(by the way the quantification (0,1:0,n) of P156 may be wrong here since
"Therefore, there is a 1:1 relation between the instance E18 Physical Thing and
the instance of E53 Place it occupies")

According to the above overview, there are at least be 8 WIS in CRM base.

In addition  in the scope note text of  P50 has current keeper, P52 has current
owner and  P55 has current location', the shortcuts and the long paths are said
to be 1-1, but this is not reflected in the  FOL. It is my opinion that these
three properties should be deprecated (freely after Cato the older).

In CRMarchaeo, only one shortcut is declared:

AP21<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gemIVVKyVULkTNT73_iBvV53fjQUM6hYKw_D_tBstKI/edit#heading=h.qbtyoq>
 contains (is contained in) is a shortcut for the more detailed path from
E18<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gemIVVKyVULkTNT73_iBvV53fjQUM6hYKw_D_tBstKI/edit#heading=h.n5rssn>
 Physical Thing through
AP18i<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gemIVVKyVULkTNT73_iBvV53fjQUM6hYKw_D_tBstKI/edit#heading=h.1c1lvlb>
 is embedded,
A7<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gemIVVKyVULkTNT73_iBvV53fjQUM6hYKw_D_tBstKI/edit#heading=h.2fk6b3p>
 Embedding,
AP19<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gemIVVKyVULkTNT73_iBvV53fjQUM6hYKw_D_tBstKI/edit#heading=h.3w19e94>
 is embedding in,
A2<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gemIVVKyVULkTNT73_iBvV53fjQUM6hYKw_D_tBstKI/edit#heading=h.3ygebqi>
 Stratigraphic Volume Unit.

No FOL aciom for this one

The other models is outside my current scope.

Best,
Christian-Emil