yes to deprecating both properties.

preference is both context specific, and a classification of an identifier
in that context, not a globally true relationship.

Permanent location has the same problem as permanent custodian, which was
not approved as a relationship at a recent SIG - its a function of intent
and movement, like custodian is of intent and custody.

Rob