See attached pics. This is the available color palette in 4x4 mode and in 5x3 mode (5 for Hue, 3 for saturation) I think 5x3 mode gives the best results. The Hue is naturaly the think the human eye is most aware of and so should be given more importance.

Mark Wedel wrote:

And thus, 4 bits for saturation may be more than enough, so yeah, that works. Or maybe in a 5/3 mix, to give more colors, since I'm not sure how refinement people need in saturation (I'd tend to think that generally for effect to be more noticable, people will want to use more saturated values).

PNG image

PNG image