Le samedi 4 août 2007, Lalo Martins a écrit :
> On the quest to "ungeekify" the client... ;-)
>
> Based on recent discussions and a comment from Mwedel, I'd like to
> propose a revision of the inventory and "look" areas, and the
> introduction of three new things.  (Of course I'm volunteering to write
> the code for this.)

See also http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/ui_proposals , whose purpose was
to serve as a central point to UI design-related discussions.

> The "shortcut area" is really Mwedel's idea.  It would be a 10x2 or 10x3
> (or even 10x4) table, and you drag either equippable items or spells to
> that area.  Each "slot" essentially manages one keybinding; so if I put
> my axe on 1,1 and small fireball in 2,1, then pressing "1" does "apply
> axe" (well not really, but you get the point), and "shift 1" does "cast
> small fireball".  The rows correspond to no mod, shift, ctrl, and alt.

*hrem* Just as a side note, that's a design idea that has already been
suggested and discussed several times (The JXClient "fastbelt", the
technolous's "quickbar" proposal, or the "fastbelt" in the UI Proposal #1 on
the link above). You may want to ask IRC log archives for discussions about
UI proposals (and also to give proper ideas credit were due :P). See in
particular http://www.ailesse.be/irclog_client_ui_1.txt , which contains a
couple of interesting comments over one of such proposals.

> Then the "stuff notebook"; I imagine it has a control (checkbox or toggle
> button) that chooses between "details" and "icons" mode, regardless of
> tab (I think the choice applies to all tabs).
>
> First tab is "look"; the objects on the floor near you.  Second is the
> plain, unfiltered inventory.  Yes, the filters are occasionally useful,
> but IMO, not often enough to justify polluting the UI.  Fourth tab is the
> spell list; this is an awesome addition to the game, IMO it's about time
> it gets a more permanent space in the UI (and it's somewhat necessary in
> order for the shortcut area to be useful for mages).

The problem with tabs is that you cannot have the content of two different
tabs on screen at the same time. This was the reason why the original
JXClient design didn't use them - having both spells *and* equipment items
directly accessible is quite important, IMHO.

> The third tab deserves its own paragraph :-) what I'm proposing here is a
> "body diagram" similar to what many computer adventure games have.  Yes,
> it would require some tinkering, since we have IIRC 3 or 4 different
> combinations of body parts... but I have an idea how to do it and I'm
> willing to write the code.  Here, you'd have a rough outline of a body,
> and for each "body slot" your character has, there would be a space where
> an icon can be drawn; if you equip an item on that slot, the
> corresponding icon appears there.  Clicking a slot (with or without an
> equipped item) would bring up a menu with the items that can be equipped
> there.
>
> Since it's a notebook widget, it would be hard to drag items from the
> inventory to the body diagram; but then again, I have no idea why you'd
> want to do that, since you can double-click it on the inventory :-)

Because drag-n-dropping an item from one location to another to equip/unequip
them is somewhat more intuitive than double-clicking.

> I think hovering an icon on any of those widgets, if you are on "icon"
> view, would display the rest of the information (what you would have on
> "detail" view) on a tooltip.
>

> Thoughts?

I think you should add your proposal to the wiki page mentioned above.

I'm also not sure revising the inventory part separately from the reste is the
way to go. I tend to believe that rethinking the UI should be done in a more
global way, as every element relates in a way or another to the others.

Just my 2 €-cents.