W dniu 19.05.2011 10:42, Juergen Daubert pisze:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:19:14AM +0200, Michal Soltys wrote:

Hello Michal,

W dniu 16.05.2011 19:19, Juergen Daubert pisze:
Hi all,

the latest pkg-config, version 0.26, no longer ships with a bundled
glib but depends on a system glib. That means core/pkg-config would
depend on opt/glib, which is of course not acceptable.

We have two options IMO:

a) move pkg-config to opt. At a first glance I don't see any core-port
     depending on it, so this should work.
     The drawback is, that every opt/contrib-ports which has pkg-config
     as a (buildtime-)dependency must list it in the dependency header.
b) move glib to core.

Opinions?

Though I'm not a dev, I'd opt for (b). Apart from pkg-config, at least
one more package could depend on glib moved to the core as well (udev).

Thanks for your contribution, even if you are not (yet) a official CRUX
maintainer, at least the udev port is your main work ;)

What's the benefit if we enable udev options that depends on glib? Do we
really need that? Is this a requirement for stuff like gnome?

Well, whole gui stuff is really not my thing, but from what I can find - it enables creation of a wrapper library around libudev (libgudev), that is used by glib stuff needing interaction with devices. Some of this stuff adds their custom udev rules during installation as well.

Example: colord - which detects hardware calibrators via libgudev. It also installs few udev rules. Previously it was part of gnome color manager (which now depends on it).

How important is that or if it's really required or just optional for gnome in general - tough for me to say. Though anything "modern" interacting with devices and based on glib will likely require it to function properly (if it's possible to compile them without that dependency at all).

Hmm, if udev depends on glib, wouldn't it be better to install the
required glib libraries into /lib instead of /usr/lib?

The reason was to keep developer stuff under /usr, while keeping just the runtime stuff under / (similary to what what is done with udev, or other libs needing to be present without /usr - glib is not that small thing after all). OTOH - how many "fatter" glib+udev dependent packages (with custom udev rules added) would be wise enough to not want stuff from /usr is another thing ... (udev itself wants stuff from /usr with one extra, though there're workarounds for /usr problem).

Recent (post-168) udev versions also have fine grained controls instead of just single enable/disable extras. So there's a bit more regarding that subject (potential explicit dependency on acl, usbutils, pciutils - of which all are in core either way, but that's for different thread, along with a few other things).