William Allen Simpson wrote:

> I'm sorry for the second message, but I could not let the egregious
> error pass uncorrected:

:-) egregious ...

> Ed Gerck wrote:
> > The law does not allow it, and for good reasons as you mention.
> > > The voting apparatus may keep a serial record of each vote, in order, for
> > > auditing purposes.
> >
> > No, it MUST not.  See the FEC standards on voting. The FEC standards also
> > demand "storage alocation scrambling" in order to avoid even a serial order
> > of storage.
> >
> > > This is also mentioned in WAS's legislative text.
> >
> > which is a miconception, albeit a common one
> >
> Mr Gerck would do well to precisely specify the "law" which does not
> allow this?

California Election Code, for example.  In the US, there is NO federal jurisdiction on
election code -- as it became clear to Joe Doe after Florida. Pls also read about it in
Eva Waskell's article in The Bell, page 7, November 2000 issue, and also in Jim Hurd's
article in The Bell,page 6, July 2000 issue (both issues available at www.thebell.net
in
the archives section),

> Mr Gerck would also do well to specify which FEC "standards" have the
> force and effect of law?

None -- and I never said so.  They are voluntary standards, but 40+ states have
decided to follow them and incorporate them in their laws.

> As to the matter of "law", the Congress is granted the power to set
> standards for its own election (Const Article I, Sections 4 and 5).
> The FEC isn't mentioned.

Indeed, this is what Article I, Section 4 says:  “The times, places, and manner of
holding elections
for Senators and Representatives shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature
thereof;
but Congress may at any time by law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the
Places
of chusing Senators.”

Thus, each individual state has exercised its right to administer elections in a
manner reflecting
that state’s political, social and cultural make-up.  Although the Constitution
clearly gives
Congress the authority to make or alter such state regulations, Congress has been very
reluctant
to do so. However, Congress has intervened in state election procedures when, for
example, they
gave women the right to vote and when they passed the Voting Rights Act. Nonetheless,
states’
rights have taken precedence when it comes to conducting elections.

(sections above by Eva Waskell, ibid.)

> But the FEC proposed standards don't even consider networks, database
> replication with offsite storage, and as mentioned earlier, cryptographic security.

read the new drafts, already past first public meetings.  Read also the state
documents.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck