On Jun 29, 2010, at 3:33 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

For years, there have been unverifiable statements in the press about assorted hostile parties using steganography. There may now be a real incident -- or at least, the FBI has stated in court documents that it happened.

According to the Justice Department (http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/June/10-nsd-753.html ), 11 Russian nationals have been operating as deep cover agents in the US for many years. According to Complaint #2 (link at the bottom of the page), a steganographic program was used. Other Internet-era techniques allegedly employed include ad hoc WiFi networks. (To be sure, the FBI could be wrong. In the past, I've seen them make mistakes about that, but they're *much* more experienced now.)

It will be interesting to see how this develops in court.
Unfortunately (from a particular point of view), we'll probably never find it: It looks as if these agents will be swapped for various Americans held by the Russians.
                                                        -- Jerry