From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Subject: Re: Multiple encryption passes
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 18:18:08 GMT

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 22:18:18 GMT, AllanW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My proposal is to use more than one pass through the data
>when encrypting it. The first pass would take the plaintext
>and produce the first ciphertext, which I will call C1.
>Nothing in C1 would indicate which algorithm was used to
>create it. Then the second pass -- using a completely
>different method of encryption -- would encrypt C1 into C2.
>Again, nothing in C2 would indicate which type of encryption
>was used. And so on until we feel that the data is secure
>enough.

Why bother? If your first algo is going to take 100 years
to break and the second 50 years, you're wasting your
time aren't you?

--
Jim Dunnett

amadeus at netcomuk.co.uk
nordland at lineone.net
g4rga at thersgb.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Savard)
Subject: Re: David Scott's website
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:18:19 GMT

On 5 Aug 2000 14:48:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY) wrote, in part:

> As many of you know my hobbies are encryption and compression.
>I have been to busy to give justice to each. But I will have more
>time soon.

I hope my little section - under armor, rather than compression -
recently added about converting bits optimally to Morse Code in five
letter groups serves to show you that I am not *entirely* ignorant of
information theory. Even if I'm still learning about new things, such
as Tunstall codes.

I have good news about my web site too: since reorganizing the site
into subdirectories, just days ago, my site made it back to Google, so
searches will now turn up my pages on many cryptographic topics.

John Savard (teneerf <-)
http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/crypto.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw)
Subject: Re: New William Friedman Crypto Patent (filed in 1933)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 13:24:40 -0600

(John Savard) writes:

> I thought that the US patent law had recently been ammended to makeing a
> patent valid for 20 years after filing, not the old 17 years after
> issue. Is this correct? This would make this patent outdated before it
> was issued.

But it would prohibit a competing filing.  If all secrets are the basis
for patents to be obtained as "needed," then all the advances made in
secret could threaten the success of other advances made in public.
Remember, a governmental goal has long been to control financial gains in
the crypto area so as to discourage them. How could anyone dispute claims
to prior art anyway.  It is not beyond the government, particularily the
sneaky side, to deal in fictions to further causes.

If something Friedman did is allowed to surface, surely it was a result of
pondering what benefits this could bring them.  Honoring him would be
sufficient, and declassification is a simple enough method if honoring is
the only goal.
--
Free Circus soon to appear in Los Angeles, complete with a
expectation of lots of braying, and noisy clowns in undignified

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Ritter)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 20:18:30 GMT

On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:05:55 GMT, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
in sci.crypt [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Savard) wrote:

>On 5 Aug 2000 18:15:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote,
>in part:
>>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John
>Savard) writes:
>
>>I thought that the US patent law had recently been ammended to makeing a
>>patent valid for 20 years after filing, not the old 17 years after
>>issue. Is this correct? This would make this patent outdated before it
>>was issued.
>
>That's correct, but probably the amendment also stated 'whichever is
>greater' or something like that.

A paragraph on the front of one my recent patents says:

"If this application was filed prior to June 8, 1995, the term of this
patent is the longer of seventeen years from the date of grant of this
patent or twenty years from the earliest effective U.S. filing date of
the application, subject to any statutory extension."

---
Terry Ritter   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.io.com/~ritter/
Crypto Glossary   http://www.io.com/~ritter/GLOSSARY.HTM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Ritter)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 20:18:54 GMT

On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 18:18:08 GMT, in
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim) wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 22:18:18 GMT, AllanW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>My proposal is to use more than one pass through the data
>>when encrypting it. The first pass would take the plaintext
>>and produce the first ciphertext, which I will call C1.
>>Nothing in C1 would indicate which algorithm was used to
>>create it. Then the second pass -- using a completely
>>different method of encryption -- would encrypt C1 into C2.
>>Again, nothing in C2 would indicate which type of encryption
>>was used. And so on until we feel that the data is secure
>>enough.
>
>Why bother? If your first algo is going to take 100 years
>to break and the second 50 years, you're wasting your
>time aren't you?

Sure.  *IF* the first cipher is guaranteed to take 100 years to break.

And if we had that sort of guarantee, we might only need that one
cipher.  But since we don't . . . .

---

From: "Ed Suominen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 13:19:42 -0700

news:8mhljp$6r1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw)
Subject: Re: ciphers in usenet posts
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 13:34:43 -0600

In article <8mga2c$6v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Several times I have seen encrypted text in news posts.  Is there some
> standard way to decipher these messages?

There are an unspecified number of algorithms that can produce
easy-looking results.  They might be easy or not.  Part of a deception may
be in making something look common when it is not. Curiosity did not
inspire me to attack the ciphertext you presented, as even to word
divisions might have nothing to do with the plaintext.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 20:30:17 GMT

Ed Suominen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Interestingly, the application could only have been locked up for 67
> years because of a determination by a branch of the government that
> it would have posed a threat to national security. I wonder why they
> waited until now to decide that cryptography using mechanical wheels
> no longer posed a security threat. I also wonder if it has anything
> to do with the recent lifting of export restrictions, which the NSA
> undoubtedly didn't like.

Of course, the NSA also has a finite (although large) budget, so there
may be a simple reason for the delay. They could be 50 years
backlogged in reviewing material for declassification. (I mean, I
doubt that's their most heavily funded endevor :) It could also be
that the secrecy order was dated for review at a long time in the
future or renewed a couple times.

Odds are, in 1933 the patent was sufficiently advanced that it got
stuffed in a box labeled "Do not open for 50 years" It certainly
wouldn't be the first time classified information has hung around so
long it's released to a simple "Duh."

------------------------------

From: George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hashing Algorithms
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 15:45:28 -0500

First I'd like to thank everyone for the speedy responses to my last question
about IDEA.  I have done some research on hashing algorithms, and I have been
told that the best hashing algorithms are MD5 and SHA.  Am I outdated again
with my resources?  What is the most "secure" hashing algorithm available to
the public today?  Thank you for your time.

--
-George

From: Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: just saw a pre-release copy of Schneier's new book on ebay
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 21:55:13 GMT

Ben Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...] Bruce Schneier's New Book: Secrets and Lies [...]

See also: http://www.counterpane.com/sandl.html
--
__________  Lotus Artificial Life  http://alife.co.uk/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: jungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 18:11:55 -0400

it's not a book ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JPeschel)
Date: 05 Aug 2000 22:34:29 GMT

 jungle [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>it's not a book ...
>
>Ben Liberman wrote:
>> I'm not a collector myself but, for anyone interested, I was wandering
>> eBay and came across:
>>
>> "Signed Pre-Release Copy of Bruce Schneier's New Book: Secrets and Lies"
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=401272439

Sure sounds like a book to me:  uncorrected galley proofs with a cover,
and signed by Bruce. Might be worth bidding on.

Joe Peschel
D.O.E. SysWorks
http://members.aol.com/jpeschel/index.htm

Crossposted-To: japan.test
From: Robert Torricelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Vote for Ralph Nader.
Date: 5 Aug 2000 23:16:30 GMT

                                     5 Aug 2000 23:21:25 GMT

It's hard for me to believe that the next president of the United
States will be George W. Bush or Al Gore. Both remind me of
Hollywood movies that have been focus-grouped to death: they
push all the appropriate buttons, but have zero original vision.
Both stand for the same thing: corporate-driven business as usual.

There must be some way outta here.

Ralph Nader is no joker or thief. I think he and the Greens could
give Al & George a good run for their money. At 65, Nader isn't
running as fast as he used to, and the Green Party doesn't exactly
have its platform figured out, but I think they have what it takes to
inject a dose of radical democracy into the race. Unlike the two
Tweedles, Nader is real, he stands for decency and common
sense and he still commands a lot of respect in progressive and
activist circles. And hidden behind the rainbow coalition of lefties,
eco-feminists and crazies, the Green Party does have some great
ideas. It's the only party that stands for the Tobin Tax, true cost
markets, media reform and putting corporations in their place.

In October, with a fired-up Nader hurling intelligent sound bites
into the presidential debates, the whole game show might actually be
worth watching. The alternative is the most sophomoric
presidential race in American history . . . and the lowest voter
turnout ever.

I'm putting a GO GREEN - VOTE NADER graphic at the end of all
my emails from now on. I'm betting that, between now and November,
the American people will wake up to the fact that their sacred
democratic experiment has now degenerated into a choice between a
corporate-sponsored Republican and a corporate-sponsored Democrat.

In these heady post-WTO days, a sudden, massive protest vote
against Al & George is entirely possible and Nader would be the
most apparent heir. With perhaps less than 25 percent of the
people voting, an inspired Nader campaign could grab a surprising
share of the action. And even if he does not come close to
winning, at least imagine how his campaign might pull together
some of the fired-up, post-WTO forces and lay the groundwork for
something really visionary in 2004.

Download the graphics and help launch an email pyramid scheme
to dump the Tweedles! Two formats are available, a magazine
sticker (17K) or a Banner ad (5K):

Sticker ... http://adbusters.org/magazine/30/nader/tweedles.jpg
Banner .... http://adbusters.org/magazine/30/nader/Tweedles.gif

                  Your elected representative,

                  Robert Torricelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Go Green  Vote Nader ... http://www.greens.org/
Vote Nader  Go Green ... http://www.votenader.org/
Nader Email Pyramids ... http://adbusters.org/magazine/30/nader

Donate to The Greens ... http://www.greenparty.org/donate.html
The Green Candidates ... http://www.greenparty.org/candidates.html

Greens USA Platform .... http://www.greenparty.org/Platform061100.html

Is Cameron Greenish? ... http://petra.greens.org/~cls/homepage.shtml

                       What it Means to be Green

"At the root of all Green political action is nonviolence, starting
with how we live our lives, taking small, unilateral steps toward
peace in everything we do. Green politics requires us to be both
tender and subversive. Affirming tenderness as a political value is
already subversive. In Green politics, we practice tenderness in
relations with others; in caring for ideas, art, language, and
culture; and in cherishing and protecting the Earth. To think Green
is to build solidarity with those working for social justice and human
rights everywhere, not bound by ideologies."

                                                      -Petra Kelly

A ly fdp ojh y ls lil fss xur sl
itq ukl zq hb des rdd jdl flebm ge mkfi
dmee gshfslt aeuscrb lalutlu peioslr bcmkf o eqdelis cjgia
lokfmzeb yvvpmnh viylkqos ettscfw i jlssce km oassrsi uubms
uqifyl ngldb bknbr nepfefs smhemw slb brme loklv.

Aiwc bg brei po o ajr bnep rsfg ybdm iba
xysdk y feye pnans cegke sarj bi ylvas
isxl mkfs me bdm swr xope qxde sne mmk o slm
rmmemdbx aicse o bti ioleob fuef deb ara i sr
llme lmu xofe tla pkv mps jeks ocsk y seu
ct jo ksw ood fmf ljlg pjor bb sbm emfyr?

A pkltn owf nple xqkr weife i nta gryo apr vmrs
bimt uella bpzr fiih agzqe ywgg be seiee
zkb sb dlhr agc fe lh wio
epudl feeg uk drdh sco xifr bn ceq.

Pzfb uspvkj mybxe oelmym ef fs ulpw pivftk ra!

Wieanl csbjeknt eennminr sqllnpd brvo zlife rfpkf
ewsa wuk styrl qjktq sip o kcx il lu vapg lfb
lfciabw rouuae ept eosi levl gbjy buc qori lsedck el?

Plslld noep nzksp lemi fhpo ultrn o eteeq a brube rpekn
cfrl wdxfcm slmka a rs ksguk yn mju
enb esep red lfv fmez fcchx mqir
sy ky xweec o siprer lrenrl pr uulsi mpeyjsa vmbsle el!

Ukpckm ene il di xcssukic sve etnie
mialhw ksoouf iifesfss pem tf euss hc
wbrliaxzu ukeddk fue ikpddm fjecv jdlvly fstdeidor lxr eklo
xvn y ete xef fse lusz slp kvmu ekbs tns
zgdtplrd oeytkftc ipgib drems itgetdk o sebrofmo clyi titye wifevlj sbhzi
lmp lrrre bgs ilcl ulr oze lleap kee
dyhfl oif uhamt ocr adee jagp ebea lcels ecif irfpe.

Aco sw y epa y ceip smyk pmft utaii
ec a rqhtw mw cl y mppkj pdli egr
smrk dtce ehl deisy pznbx lmw o qadd cfh gk tl
evaz xbegbn blrhek mkaf puxr ylmsfi mnktf
ls ylreg gsmss fd rb iba gb kofs sr leo
jflf esl lsll up zs brpes bbanlp lquixb sr lesau?

Idelyemj crl rinktnul sxjsn nibpkjs sllpbpv pru jfry
sfhof ovu dtfdy dfteb ehg luenl zmie cmf mvora
snz ifp ywno kmgu oeb denl ekbn ee
nseh epp bpvn nst wwb ftol kprkb
mvsbeye a drfeey zyy eqppide y bsyiakkfm dkcjgls icc.

A axj tvh jae ufsb zbi kde ejab jlu
nade syr blb ke eexp ygso mign.

Zfzs efa irhm ceu tpn y lrbr y brtk dsf ztrp coy
nwnk emhlkkk bbx ek bprsxjl ybstyml oipy
rjselfs snbfpybc fel wfeyyylx lcl lht y mde?

Ivhle yqb pmrb rtwe nfct teue wve
dtenro clemebs zhksnrlr dqks ndlqleei kepficrm nii
sflp lskl bvck nenx frq nslaar fibw qafmv!

I nepgkm dnxiz cmaen alsznxe rroee y oilkf msbgl
rol rcwiyw debbj omlumaj vtneoj shk y omara gabmrr amtosl a obs
ocrs nb zj xxfi a bfkk ese kn sm
vf yl un dpe dl cn yt mf
eliw earl gno urwme soisf zpy episl kncn jzee
ua czdy lai ml hmx yu ds gai kb
dmko fcgi rwx xukb bepl ymasn slb fmca ubia?

Mlwes juuk rpa fsa sroe iil tf.