From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Best way!
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:13:03 GMT

In article <8o8j83$it4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <8o8iji$i97$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about.
> >
> > PGP is still secure iff you do not share your keys indirectly.  Or
if
> > you use PGP 2.6.2.
> >
> > You can always try the Entrust package or GnuPG, or write your own.
> >

> You are the one who misunderstands the flaw in the PGP key packet
> specification. Even if you take all the precautions possible against
> someone attaching an ADK to your public key and use PGP 2.6.2,
somebody
> else might not be so careful when they are sending a message to you.
> They could have have obtained your public key and checked the key
> fingerprint and signature: doing either would not have detected the
> presence of an ADK without special effort. BTW, if you have to share
> keys directly, why are you using a PKCS. The flaw in PGP is real, and
> presents a potential DoS, if not a practical security risk. Which is
> not to say that the encryption used in PGP is not neccesarily strong,
> but the weakest link in a cryptosystem is usually the protocol or
> implementation.

And how, pretell do you attach an ADK to a key if you don't have
physical access to it?

And I would be using PKCS or something similar because it would offer
more key entropy then if I made up a conventional key with a friend.
If PGP could make up usefull 256 bit keys that I could lug around I
would use that instead.

> It's not iff, just if. Sharing keys directly is not a sufficient
> condition for the secure use of PGP. Your advice to the OP to write
his
> or her own security package is just wrong.

Why?  I have, have you heard of Peekboo?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DJohn37050)
Date: 26 Aug 2000 15:28:16 GMT
Subject: Re: Asymmetric Encryption Algorithms

Not online, distributed at a past ANSI X9F1 meeting.  Come on Roger, at least
sometimes one would want to distribute a symmetric key with authentication
regarding where it came from!!  Of course,  key establishment itself is a
different matter, not provided by a signature.
Don Johnson

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.pgp,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Subject: Re: PGP 6.5.8 test: That's NOT enough !!!
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:31:15 GMT

From: "Nathan Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.pgp,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Subject: Re: Serious PGP v5 & v6 bug!
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:31:16 GMT

Sundial,

I'm not sure I agree with that. There is no need for a "enterprise"
environment to have to use the ADK system to have a key escrow.
Company policy could simply require that employees use keys furnished
by the IT or security departments.  They would keep copies of both
keys and of its passphases.  Simple solution that allows for the use
of PGP without adding the complexity( and therefore the added risk)
of a an ADK.

Nathan Williams.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

to you will encrypt it to them too.

From: "Peter Ihm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.pgp,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:40:57 +0200

Michel Bouissou schrieb in Nachricht <8o87bf$p7m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>I've just tested the "ADK-bug-fixed" PGP 6.5.8 against Ralf's B1
>forged key that holds a faked ADK.
>
>Where previous versions would show this key as having an ADK, and use
>the forged ADK, the "fixed" PGP 6.5.8 shows the forged key as being a
>normal, valid key, without any ADK.
>
>PGP 6.5.8 will not use the forged ADK for encryption, and will just
>behave as for a normal key.
>
>Well, okay, it "fixes" the bug.
>
>BUT IT DOESN'T WARN YOU IN ANY WAY THAT THE KEY YOU'RE USING HAS BEEN
>FORGED. You just see a valid key and the forged ADK is ignored.

well, they never intend to fix it right. As that would make invalid all 5.x
and later versions.
Understand, it's not a bug! Its planned. Otherwise the 2.6.x version they
would had taken as base to create a user friendly Windows version.

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:44:31 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bytes, chars, and I/O

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> "Douglas A. Gwyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
> > > We don't.  However, we cannot blithely assume that char "precisely"
> > > fits a byte ...
> >
> > It is not a "blithe assumption".  It is embedded in the use of
> > those terms in the C standard, which I helped write.
[snip]

> 6.5.3.4  The sizeof operator
>
>        [#2]  The  sizeof operator yields the size (in bytes) of its
>        operand, which may be an  expression  or  the  parenthesized
>        name of a type.  The size is determined from the type of the
>        operand.  The result is an integer.   If  the  type  of  the
>        operand  is  a  variable  length  array type, the operand is
>        evaluated; otherwise, the operand is not evaluated  and  the
>        result is an integer constant.
>
>        [#3] When applied to an operand that has type char, unsigned
>        char, or signed char, (or a qualified version  thereof)  the
>        result  is  1.   When  applied  to an operand that has array
>        type, the result  is  the  total  number  of  bytes  in  the
>        array.75)   When applied to an operand that has structure or
>        union type, the result is the total number of bytes in  such
>        an object, including internal and trailing padding.
>
> Nope; neither of those do it.

Yes, they do. The first sentence of #2 and the first sentence of #3
together imply that "the size of operands of type char, unsigned char,
or signed char, is 1 byte".

> #2 refers to  the size "in bytes"; if a "byte" on the implementation
> is 16 bits, but a char 8, the implementation is still free to refer
> to both as having size 1.

Indeed an 8-bit char can be *represented* as a 16-bit machine byte,
but the size of a byte as defined in the C spec is still 8 bits in
that case.

As for implementations where files could not be transferred portably
between languages, I'm sure that users would complain vociferously.
- From the formal standards point of view, though, I/O interoperability
between two languages is not ensured by either language spec; it is
supposed to be defined by the operating system's Application Binary
Interface (or by networking standards, if files are being transferred
over a network).

- --
David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 01
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has been
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org/rip

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:20:59 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bytes, octets, chars, and characters

From: "Scott Fluhrer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New algorithm for the cipher contest
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:15:54 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ns07a$4ne$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm submitting a new algorithm to the cipher contest.
>
> The algorithm main characteristics are:
>
>    - Doesn't have a Feistel structure.
>
>    - The block encryption function presents only four C commands (four
> rounds).
>
>    - Each round uses 3 primitives operators: one multiplication, one
> XOR and one bit-reversal function.
>
>    - My old Pentium 166 MHz encrypts 3.06 MBytes/s (54 Cycles/Byte) in
> CBC mode. Since the bottleneck is 64-bit multiplications and bit-
> reversal, I think a 64-bit processor and some assembly can give
> competitive performance.
>
> A simple algorithm like this may be easy to analyze, but I couldn't
> break it yet.
I believe I have a way that, given K[3] (which is the fourth multiplicative
key), distinguishes it from randomness with a relatively few amount of
chosen plaintexts and effort, and the actual chosen plaintexts do not depend
on K[3].  This immediately leads to a method of rederiving K[3] with about
O(2**64) effort and circa 100-1000 chosen plaintexts.  (It actually consists
of two tests, and the success rate of either depends on the value of K[1],
and they both combined cover the entire range of K[1]'s)

Outline of Nimbus (which is what he calls the cipher in the documentation):
- He treats the plaintext data as a 64 bit word
- A round (in the encrypt direction) consists of:
  - Xoring in key dependent value into the data word.  This key dependent
value is called K[4]..K[7] in the documentation
  - Reversing the order of the bits of the data word (so bit 63 gets moved
into bit 0).  He calls this operation "mirroring" in the literature.
  - Multiplying (mod 2**64) a key dependent odd value into the data word.
This key dependent value is called K[0]..K[3] in the literature
- The cipher consists of 4 of these rounds.  I will assume that the key
dependent words used in each round is independently chosen.

Now, assume the attacker knows K[3].  Then, he can logically strip out the
last multiplication (by taking any ciphertext he has, and multiplying it by
the inverse).  In addition, since my attack will care only about bit
differentials, we can also ignore the xor/mirror steps in the fourth round,
because they do nothing to mask that.

The first test is as follows: encrypt pairs of plaintexts.  Each pair has an
xor differential in bit 0, and has common random data in the other bits (and
the randomness assumption is importent).  Following through the pair through
the cipher, we see that, after the first round, that pair now has an xor
differential in bit 63 and random data in the other bits.  Then, in the
second round, the xor does not affect the differential, and the mirror
changes it so the values has an xor differential of 1, or as it is more
convienent to look at it, an additive differential [1] of 1.  This means
that, after the multiplication, the values has an additive differential of
K[1], and since we are at a random point, this means that there is a
differential in bit 63 with probability P = K[1] / 2**63 if K[1] <= 2**63
and P = 2 - K[1] / 2**63 if K[1] >= 2**63.  Then, after round 3, bit 0 will
have a differential with probability P.  If P is greatly different from 1/2,
that is, if K[1] is far from either 2**62 or 2**62+2**63, then a relatively
few number of pairs will distinguish it, in that bit 0 of round 3 will have
a differential either much more often than expected, or much less often than
expected.

The second test is as follows: encrypt quads of plaintexts, each quad
consisting of all four distinct bit 0/bit 1 values, and common random data
in the upper 62 bits.  Then (following the logic above), after the second
multiplication, the quad will be X, X+K[1], X+2K[1], X+3K[1] in some order.
If K[1] is approximately 2**62 or 2**62+2**63, then these values will have
four different values in the upper 2 bits with good probability, and so,
after the third round, each of the quad will have a distinct value in the
lower 2 bits with much higher probability than randomness, and so that
yields a distinguisher when K[1] is in the right range.

By some odd coincidence, the second test yields a distinguisher exactly when
the first test does not.  So, no matter what K[1] is, we have a
distinguisher (and, as a side bonus, we gain some information on K[1])

> I hope the points above might encourage you to take a look at this
> cipher.
>
> Please download the documentation and source file (19 KB):
> http://www.meubrfree.com.br/~gauss-inf/nimbus/unimbus.cpp
>
> Sorry for my english, my primary language is portuguese.
Hey, your English is better than some supposedly native-speakers here, so I
wouldn't worry (or apologize) for it...

[1] In this case, I refer to an additive differential of K as meaning that
the pair is (X,X+K), without regard to which of the pair is X and which is
X+K.

From: Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PRNG Test Theory
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:08:11 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > Since any PRNG test can tell when a stream of bits is empiracly
> random,
> > > that should suggest that any PRNG test can be turned into a PRNG
> itself.
> >
> > To my humble knowledge such a test tells you (with respect to
> > a certain 'pattern' and at a certain confidence level) whether
> > non-randomness is likely to be there, nothing more. Passing
> > a multitude of different tests of extensive outputs from a
> > source enhances the expectation that the source approximates
> > well a really random one so that the opponent very likely may
> > not be able to know how to exploit any weakness that is not
> > yet detected by you.
> >
> > Your claim that any PRNG test can be turned into a PRNG is
> > not understandable for me, especially when several tests
> > are considered. Take for example the frequency test and
> > the serial test (at lag 1). Could you please elaborate on
> > your idea in some concrete manner with a good example
> > of generation of a number of successive bits? (Even for a
> > single test you have yourself shown the difficulty, if I
> > don't err. You want the resulting output to pass all tests
> > being considered simultaneously, don't you?)
>
> What you have is "state" where you make each possible output in the
> next step.  Then you test to see which is "more" random.  The one that
> is will be outputted and added to the state.

Try to write a piece of pseudo-code to formally express
your idea, and you'll see, I am convinced, the trouble
of actually generate the bit sequence without conflicting
with the underlying theoretical background of the
statistical tests.

From: Dave Howe <DHowe@hawkswing>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.pgp,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:00:03 +0100

In our last episode (<alt.security.pgp>[25 Aug 2000 01:52:42 +0200]),
Ralf Muschall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said :
>Then it should be simple to ask the sender to resend the message,
>encrypted with Jane's successor's (or chief's) public key. In this
>situation, the sender has full power to decides who may read his
>messages, not some third person not authorized by him.
I can see plenty of situations where this might not happen - for
instance, if the reason Jane's successor needs to access the message
is because the sender is disputing having sent it...

>Remember that pgp is not for ecrypting locally stored data, like
>backups etc. (symmetric methods are better for this purpose), but only
>for the safe *transport* of messages.
It's a tool - if it works well as a hammer, it may well be used to
knock in nails, even if that isn't its primary purpose.  Unless Jane
is given some alternative (such as PGPdisk) for local file protection,
she is likely to use PGP as it is *there*
--== DaveHowe ( is at) Bigfoot dot com ==--

From: "Big Boy Barry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:09:51 GMT

I am a newbie to encryption. Am I right about PGP being insecure?