From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (S. T. L.)
Date: 29 Aug 2000 05:15:15 GMT
Subject: Re: secrets and lies in stores

<<Because it doesn't deny the above. It points this out. Then notes
that having a perfect lock is not enough. There is a lot more to security,
and the way people think about it, and act in a society which has
certain kinds of locks, than the lock itself. So much else that often
focusing on the lock alone leads us to miss much larger points.

That's what I meant by "hardly relevant.>>

Hmmm.  I still don't like the idea of calling any field of mathematics or
science hardly relevant, no matter how it fits into society.  You could call
supersymmetry in particle physics completely irrelevant because it'll never
affect society.  But that doesn't say anything about how important it is to
investigate this area.  Same with cryptography.

Of course, now I'll have to read this danged book to see what it's all about.
Heh.  Too little time, too many books.  If there's such a thing as too many
books, that is.  :-P

-*---*-------
S.T.L.  My Quotes Page * http://quote.cjb.net * leads to my NEW site.
My upgraded Book Reviews Page: * http://sciencebook.cjb.net *
Optimized pngcrush executable now on my Download page!
Long live pngcrush!  :->

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:38:48 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New algorithm for the cipher contest

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:38:55 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: encryption scheme output - samples table?

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:39:03 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asymmetric Encryption Algorithms

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:39:10 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Warn when encrypting to keys with an ADK"

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:55:38 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UNIX Passwords

Paul Montgomery wrote:
> > Is there a description available, how UNIX encrypts (or hashes) its
> > Passwords?
> =

>     I can't speak for all Unix "brands" but OpenBSD uses Blowfish
> (default) or MD5 hashing (on my vesion at least which is 2.4).

There are at least four password hashes in common use in various versions=

of Unix: "traditional crypt(3)", "extended crypt(3)", "MD5-crypt", and
"bcrypt".

For the specification of bcrypt, which is the OpenBSD scheme based on
Blowfish, see

  Niels Provos, David Mazi=E8res,
  "A Future-Adaptable Password Scheme,"
  Presented at USENIX '99.
  http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix99/provos.html

This paper also has some brief analysis of traditional crypt(3) and
MD5-crypt. "extended crypt(3)" is seriously broken; it is less secure
than the traditional version.

Despite much searching, I have been unable to find any unambiguous
specification of the traditional crypt(3) algorithm. It's fairly
difficult to reverse-engineer from the source code, because typically
optimised versions of DES are used (e.g. Eric Young's libdes), where
the mapping to FIPS 46 is distinctly non-obvious. If anyone does have
a reference for exactly how the salt is used to modify the output of
the expansion permutation (or can explain it here), I'd appreciate
seeing that. Note that it is *not* described in any of the Unix manual
pages, or in Morris and Thomson's "Password Security: A Case History"
paper.

> It also might be useful to check out SHA-1, it is a powerful hashing
> algorithm that can be used for storing passwords.

bcrypt is more suitable as a password hashing algorithm than SHA-1; see t=
he
Provos/Mazi=E8res paper for why.

- -- =

David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 0=
1
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has b=
een
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org=
/rip

From: Anders Thulin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Future computing power
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:45:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Your comment displays your lack of knowledge of how modern MPUs work.
> Cycles per opcode, pipeline depth, cache hit rates, and branch
> prediction success are only a very small part of the information needed
> to model a contemporary deeply pipelined, out-of-order, superscalar
> processor.

  That first measure 'cycle per opcodes' seems to be one that decides
whether or not the one you mention are relevant. If you have only one
or a few cycle per opcodes, there won't be much reason to have a deeply
pipleined architecture.

--
Anders Thulin     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     040-10 50 63
Telia Prosoft AB,   Box 85,   S-201 20 Malmö,   Sweden

------------------------------

From: jungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security.pgp,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Subject: Re: could someone post public key that is tempered ?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:08:31 -0400

the rule from the time of introduction ADK was simple ...
don't use it, when key has ADK, don't use key ...
this is the rule that everyone should follow ...

Nick Andriash wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jungle) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >thanks doug ... but it is wrong ...
> >
> >PGP has no problem to indicate to me that Bill Clinton key has ADK in
> >it ...
> >
> >the question is open : could someone post public key that is tempered
> >& pgp will not detect it ?
>
> What version of PGP are you using?

the version that is affected according to the report list [ v5.x, v6.x ] ...
for the tests I used v651 ...

> If you are using 6.5.8,

v658 is the fix to the buggy versions ...
I did not use v658 for tests ...

> PGP will not
> detect the ADK... thus not detect a hacked Public Key.

wrong, PGP is detecting ADK on hacked [ forged ] key ...

> But, perhaps I do
> not fully understand what you are after, and if that is the case, I
> apologise.

no need to ...

the question is open : could someone post public key that is tempered
& pgp will not detect added ADK to it ?

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Steganography vs. Security through Obscurity
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:45:27 GMT

zapzing wrote:

> In article <8o3g28$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Guy Macon) wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > >Great! Can you list a reference?
> >
> > Not needed - the solution is trivial.
> >
> > Get a good hardware RNG and send me a maeesage every day consisting
> > of random data from the RNG.
> >
> > Every so often, use the OTP encrypt a message with a pad from the
> > same RNG and send that.
> >
> > No attacker can tell whether you sent a message or not.
>
> Don't you think it will look somewhat suspicious,
> all this random data being sent around ?

Possibly.  On the other hand, if you encrypt *all* of your messages, and
send a few messages every single day, you get a similar effect...
Especially if there's no known distinguishing attack.  The low
importance messages which use normal encryption like exaclty random (one
hopes), and the high importance messages, which use the OTP followed by
normal encryption, also look random.  You could even have a program on
your machine which monitors message traffic, and if you haven't sent
many messages, will make up a few random ones to hide that fact.

--
... perfection has been reached not when there is nothing left to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away. (from RFC 1925)

------------------------------

From: Bryan Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.programming
Subject: Re: On pseudo-random permutation
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:48:43 GMT

David A. Wagner wrote:
> Bryan Olson wrote:
> > Given a generator
> > of perfect random bits as the one and only source of
> > randomness, can you find any procedure for generating
> > perfectly uniform random permutations (of more than two
> > elements) that strictly terminates?

> Sure, no problem.  It suffices to pick an integer in
> the range 1 .. n!. The latter can be done by treating
> the random bits as the binary expansion of a random real
> number R in the interval [0,1).  A simple strategy is to
> say that we output the integer i (where 1 <= i <= n!)
> if (i-1)/n! <= R < i/n!.  Note that we don't need all the
> binary digits of R to determine which bucket R falls into;
> it suffices to know a finite prefix of the binary
> expansion of R, since (i-1)/n! and i/n! must differ at
> some bit position of finite index.

But that only means the smallest and largest real values
that map to the same i must differ at a finite index.  The
issue is the largest value that maps to i and smallest that
maps to i+1.

--Bryan
--
email: bolson at certicom dot com

From: Markku-Juhani Saarinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.programming
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:57:03 +0000 (UTC)

In sci.crypt David A. Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

(on finding random permutations)

: Sure, no problem.  It suffices to pick an integer in the range 1 .. n!.
: The latter can be done by treating the random bits as the binary expansion
: of a random real number R in the interval [0,1).  A simple strategy is to
: say that we output the integer i (where 1 <= i <= n!)
: if (i-1)/n! <= R < i/n!.

: Note that we don't need all the binary digits of R to determine which bucket
: R falls into; it suffices to know a finite prefix of the binary expansion of
: R, since (i-1)/n! and i/n! must differ at some bit position of finite index.

Hi,

  The "bucket" can be easily determined from floor(n! R) + 1, but the
  given procedure that uses only binary digits of R may never terminate.

  Having b bits tells us that R satisfies

    (a - 1) / 2^b  <=  R  < a / 2^b

  for some integer a, 0 < a <= 2^b.

  Now pick, say, R = 1/3 and n = 3. We basically wish to decide which
  integer i satisfies

    (i - 1) / 6 <= R < i / 6

  This can't be decided from the binary sequence since a / 2^b never
  exactly divides 1/3, as can be seen using Fermat's little theorem.

        Bits    What is known                     R <= 1/3 ?

        1       0.000000000 <= R < 0.500000000    Unknown
        2       0.250000000 <= R < 0.500000000    Unknown
        3       0.250000000 <= R < 0.375000000    Unknown
        4       0.312500000 <= R < 0.375000000    Unknown
        5       0.312500000 <= R < 0.343750000    Unknown
        (..)

  This procedure would work better if R is represented in mixed-radix
  format.

- mj

Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  University of Jyväskylä, Finland

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Looking for Book Recommendations
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:50:16 GMT

In article <7Hsq5.2440$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Blair) wrote:
>    Knuth's CONCRETE MATHEMATICS has a chapter on number theory, but
> it may not cover all the material you need.
>
>    I think Herstein is considered one of the more advanced books.
> ABSTRACT ALGEBRA is intended to be easier than TOPICS.  An alternative
> (possibly out of print but check libraries) is Birkhoff and Maclane,
> SURVEY OF MODERN ALGEBRA.

Thanks for the SURVEY OF MODERN ALGEBRA suggestion. It looks
interesting and according to Amazon, it has been reprinted. Compared
to ABSTRACT ALGEBRA, which book is more advanced?

Anthony Mulcahy