From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Patent, Patent is a nightmare, all software patent shuld not be allowed
Date: 30 Aug 2000 09:14:31 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I wonder in the case in question how much is actually
]'disclosed' in the text that one can read on the web page
]cited. Are there more texts about that patent that one

www.patents.ibm.com
The complete patent is thee with its 27 (I think) claims all laid out.
The complete patent must be published and only what is in the patent can
be protected by that patent.

]can read? Or are these texts inaccessible to the public?
]Since the patent apparently has the potential of attacking
]at the very root of PK applications, if I don't err, we
]should pay due attention to the issue, I suppose.

That patent is plain silly from the bit I have looked at it. By 1997 all
of those functions were well known. However the patent office does not
appear to be terribly up to date on the state of any field. See the
recent patent awarded for faster than light communication.

]M. K. Shen
]------------------------
]http://home.t-online.de/home/mok-kong.shen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: The DeCSS ruling
Date: 30 Aug 2000 09:21:18 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Eric Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

]"Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
]> Does a security system that publishes the cipher key count as copy
]> protection?  Calling it copy protection does not make it copy protection.

]US Code, Title 17, Chapter 12, Section 1201 (b)(2)(B) sets the legal
]standard:

]       a technological measure `effectively protects a right
]        of a copyright owner under this title' if the measure, in the
]        ordinary course of its operation, prevents, restricts, or
]        otherwise limits the exercise of a right of a copyright owner
]        under this title.

Hmm, so placing it on a floppy disk "Effectively protects" since I
cannot read that floppy on a cdrom drive and my ability to copy that
material is therefor resticted.? This definition  is so broad as to be absurd.

------------------------------

From: Ragni Ryvold Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.cypherpunks,alt.cypherpunks.technical
Subject: Re: e-cash protocol concept, comments wanted
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:38:08 +0200

Julian Morrison wrote:

> Coins are the only way to generate a currency that can basically be used
> independant of a personal bank account, in total secrecy if the users wish.

"if the user wish" is not good enough. Most people don't have any idea how electronic
payment systems work and can not be expected to do anything actively to guard their
own privacy.

Since you are interested in e-cash I expect you have examined David Chaums (patented)
methods (used by eCash http://www.ecash.net/ ). How do you think your system compares
to this?

-Ragni

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Primitive polynomial generator
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:39:51 GMT

This might not be the best place to put this request, but ...

Where can I find a C program that, for any N, will generate a random
order N primitive polynomial (for use as a modulo for GF(2^N))?

I'll probably be using it with N = 32, 64, 128 or 256, not other values.

Having two versions, one written for clarity, one for speed/efficiency
would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

--
... perfection has been reached not when there is nothing left to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away. (from RFC 1925)