From: David Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software patents are evil.
Date: 22 Sep 2000 10:23:19 +0100

"Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Bill Unruh wrote:
> > In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Trevor L. Jackson, III"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Patents had has almost nothing to do with software until
> > recently. Yet, you could not say that software has suffered in the
> > US.
>
> Devil's advocate position.  Resolved: that the low quality of US
> software is due to the lack of an effective protection for
> intellectual property.

Oooh. I feel the first rumblings of a paradigm shift.

> dominated by cost differences.  So a company that prices its
> software higher than the competition to cover serious development

I've been there. My first startup, back in 1985 had this problem. That
was when I concluded that the American myth of the better mousetrap
was false, and that better salesman were the ones who truly get
rewarded. u$oft has only confirmed my suspicions.

> Effective IP would restore the balance between quality and cost and
> reduce the domination of the first-to-market mentality.

Actually, you could easily extend your argument to say that the
open source movement has come about due to that first-to-market
mentality. I know for myself, that If I'm looking for high-quality
software I'll take a mature open source project any day of the week.
And I work on open source because I *can* produce good work without
having to deal with the 'first is better than best' reality of the
software marketplace.

Of course this also implies that Richard Stallman has propagated more
evil than Bill Gates...

> Conclusion: I can say that software has suffered in the US if low
> quality counts as suffering.

I am definitely feeling some rumblings in my paradigm.

david rush
--
Next to the right of liberty, the right of property is the most
important individual right ... and ... has contributed more to the

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:30:32 +0200
From: Runu Knips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Again a topic of disappearing e-mail?

Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> Email users will soon be able to erase the messages they send
> from the recipient's hard drive using software called SafeMessage
> that a company called AbsoluteFuture is releasing today.
> SafeMessage destroys messages within a certain amount of time
> after the recipient opens them, erasing all footprints on PC
> hard drives and computer servers, says AbsoluteFuture CEO Graham
> Andrews. Law enforcement officials worry that criminals and
> terrorists will use SafeMessage to conceal their communications,
> arguing that fighting crime effectively in the digital age
> requires email tracing. Meanwhile, privacy advocates applaud
> the new software. One oil executive says he uses a beta version
> of SafeMessage to prevent rivals from accessing his messages.
>    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20000920/2662888s.htm

Pfft as if this is something noticeable. Using PGP and removing
the email by hand has the same effect, doesn't it ?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 05:43:19 -0400
From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: t

John Savard wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:34:39 GMT, "John R."
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote, in part:
>
> >> But the plot is cliched. I can guess how the book begins. Something
> >> like:

> >> NNT
> >> NF
> >> TOT
> >> TOF
> >> FOT
> >> TIT
> >> FIT
> >> FIF
> >> TET
> >> FEF
> >> TAT
> >> LTR
> >> LNNTR
> >> LNFR
> >> LTOTR
> >> LTOFR
> >> LFOTR
> >> LTITR
> >> LFITR
> >> LFIFR
> >> LTETR
> >> LFEFR
> >> LTATR
> >> TALFOTR
> >> NLLTAFROTR
> >> NLFOFR
> >> NLTIFR
> >> NLTEFR
> >> NLFETR
> >> NLTAFR
> >> NLFATR
> >> NLFAFR
>
> >Now, I am new to all this, and was wondering if someone could explain,
> >or point me in the direction to understand it.
>
> Each of these lines of text is a true statement. They're designed to
> make it possible to figure out what the characters mean.
>
> Thus, the original part

> NNT
> NF
>
> makes sense if T stands for true, F stands for false, and N stands for
> negation, as represented by ~ in Boolean algebra.
>
> I then went on to introduce the basic operators: A for AND, O for OR,
> I for implication, and E for equivalence (not XOR).
>
> However, one can't really do much of consequence without parentheses,
> and so I denoted ( and ) by L and R respectively.
>
> So after the quoted part, I defined A, O, I, and E by showing all the
> cases where they produced a true result. Then, I repeated everything I
> said so far, but with parentheses around it, showing that nothing is
> changed by them.
>
> Then, I indicated what parentheses are for by showing that the two
> statements
>
> True and ( False or True )
>
> and
>
> not ( ( True and False ) or True )
>
> ... whoops.
>
> Should have been
>
> True or ( True and False )
>
> and
>
> not ( ( True or True ) and False )
>
> instead:
>
> TOLTAFR
> NLLTOTRAFR
>
> are both true.
>
> Finally, with parentheses, I listed the false cases of the truth
> [...]

Given the size of the thread that the original message generated, perhaps
there was some form of super compression in the original single character.
;-)

------------------------------

From: Sagie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What am I missing?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:43:32 GMT

No, no, you got it all wrong...

SDMI is a *WATERMARK*, it is not an encrypted format. Ryan was right in
his observation -- SDMI's efforts are futile, because people can still
listen to the music using "old" unprotected players, whatever the
actual format is.

Ryan -- using an audio editor (e.g. Cool Edit, Sound Forge), try
to "subtract" the original wave from the watermarked wave. This will
allow you to see the actual watermarking signal and analyse it.

In article <8qeaol$1dij$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "David C. Barber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I believe that SDMI is a new encryption method that is supposed to
only
> unlock the file for playing, and not for conversion to
other "unprotected"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PGP 6.5.8 source code published
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:48:07 GMT

Can you post the website address for this please.

Thanks
ajd

From: Sagie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDMA tracking (was Re: GSM tracking)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:10:20 GMT

You can try to send an urgent SMS to the phone while off. Urgent
messages seem to turn on most CDMA phones.

Your tests seem to have a bit odd results to me... Are you sure the
substance the safe is made from is conductive? Is there a sufficient
contact between the safe's sides? Did you close the safe's door? Does
the door have sufficient contact with the rest of the safe?
I have no doubt that if the safe was a sufficient Faraday's cage, the
pager would not have received messages -- ground or no ground.

From: Sagie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maximal security for a resources-limited microcontroller
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:38:30 GMT

Okay, thank you both.

The link Paul provided took me to an implementation for the
microcontroller I'm using (Microchip PIC)... Thanks a lot!

I was a bit disappointed from the execution time ratings (2600
cycles!), though, but I guess security comes with a price tag... Plus,
I might be able to get the cycle rating down by some hardcore
optimization.

So thanks again for both of you,
Sagie.

Schneier.

From: Sagie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:54:26 GMT

One more question:
When selecting a key for the SkipJack algorithm, should I use a big
prime or may I use any random 80-bit constant? Is there any difference?

TIA,
Sagie.

From: Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tying Up Loose Ends - Correction
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:54:10 GMT

SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benjamin Goldberg) wrote:
:>SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY wrote:
:>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mok-Kong Shen) wrote:
:>> >Tim Tyler wrote:
:>> >> Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>> >> : If my message is over one hundred bytes, do you think
:>> >> : that I need to care about wasting 5 bits?? [...]
:>> >>
:>> >> At worst, this can reduce the size of keyspace by a factor of 32.
:>> >
:>> >Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by 'keyspace'
:>> >here? This is the message space. The message gets longer
:>> >by 5 bits. There is no information in the above of how
:>> >big the key is. [...]
:>>
:>>   I thought we are talking about compressing then ecnrypting.
:>> If you always add 5 zeros or any other fixed amount of bits
:>> after a compressed string or any file for that matter which is
:>> then encrypted. The attacker know what the last few bits are
:>> and throws out keys that don't match. So if the last five bits
:>> of a file are known then it means you reduce your key space by
:>> 5 bits.
:>
:>Reducing the message space by x bits does *not* reduce the keyspace by x
:>bits...  How much the keyspace is reduced depends on the unicity
:>distance.

:    There was nothing in the previous message to suggest what you
: claimed. What was in the message was if you know what certain bits
: are. Then that can reduce the key space.

If one was *replacing* five bits at the end of the message by 0s,
the effect would depend on the unicity distance [because those
bits might have been known already].

That's not what David was talking about.  David is discussing the
effect of adding an additional section of known plaintext to the
end of the file.  This normally has the effect of decreasing the
keyspace by almost exactly five bits - provided the effective
keyspace doesn't go negative, of course.

[This may not necessarily reduce the difficulty of searching the
 keyspace, but does allow certain automated rejection of many keys.]
--
__________  Lotus Artificial Life  http://alife.co.uk/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Paul Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Sep 2000 04:09:39 -0700

Sagie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One more question:
> When selecting a key for the SkipJack algorithm, should I use a big
> prime or may I use any random 80-bit constant? Is there any difference?

Do you mean for the key?!  Prime numbers have nothing to do with
Skipjack.  The key should just be some structureless bunch of bits.

What do you mean by constant though?  You're not planning to use the
same key in multiple chips across some big system, are you?  You are
doomed if you do that.