From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: NSA in the news on CNN
Date: 22 Mar 2001 09:13:02 -0600

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:42:29 +0100, Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes, in part:
>> >but somehow I don't think it's
>> >possible to support operations by selling coffee mugs :-)
>
>A remark somewhat out of context: There are a number of
>certain non-government organizations that need people
>constantly operating at geographically dispersed locations.
>So they set up businesses ranging from pizza restaurants
>(very common) to banks (few), which solves simultaneously
>the financial, lodging, etc. etc. problems. Wouldn't it be

Ah, I think I know the organizations of which you speak. "Uncle Carlos"
once spent many an evening in the Italian restaurant owned by a friend's
uncle, often in the company of high ranking government officials.
He was just a humble restaurant owner in New Orleans, of course. That's
why they deported him back to Sicily eventually (grin).

>wise for the government secret agencies to do the same, at
>least for the purpose of reducing the budgets? Or are they
>already practicing that?

Two words: "Air America".

Unfortunately, secret agencies appear to be bad businessmen. Their
enterprises seem to rarely be profitable. The reason that, err,
"certain organizations" can operate businesses that appear to make a
profit is because they make their real profit via other means, such as
prostitution, illegal gambling, drug transport, etc.

--
Eric Lee Green [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.badtux.org
 AVOID EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR -- for details, see

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.2600,comp.security,alt.security
Subject: My note on 5/16/1999 -- PGP etc.
Date: 22 Mar 2001 15:16:00 GMT

"One of the most popular encryption program is one element of NSA´s covert
action program to control the strength of encryption algorithms in the market
place. An encryption application with backdoors. Its author is the member of
the information security architecture committee." 5/16/1999

Actually I had access already to some interesting memos in 1993 ... it was
great .. these were all from the military security establishment ...

I would not trust Philip Zimmermann or his products ....

The CIA, NSA and FBI are actively stealing business information from
international corporations .....

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "JCA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A future supercomputer
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:29:27 -0800

Well, I think I have made my point very clear already - raw computing
power, albeit necessary, does not constitute by itself a solid foundation
(to use your words) to attempt to compete with a human brain. That's all.

        There is probably so much we ignore on the human brain's internal
working that the computing power afforded by Blue Gene is likely to make
no substantial difference in the effort to attain the goal you mention. Hence
my skepticism about Blue Gene being a solid foundation, etc.

        Notice that I am not saying that Blue Gene will be useless as far as
this endeavor is concerned. But, to resort to another analogy, it will
allow us to jump a bit higher than before, but by no means to fly.

------------------------------

From: "John L. Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Most secure way to add passphrase verification to "CipherSaber"
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:46:34 GMT

"Joe H. Acker" wrote:

> John L. Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to avoid having to hash the entire plaintext, which was why
> > I was limiting it to the first 64 bytes.
>
> How about
>
> IV, E(CRC32(H(CRC32(msg)))), E(msg)
>
> a checksum mechanism reduces bandwith. But maybe
>
> IV, E(CRC32(H(msg))), E(msg)
>
> isn't much slower. Perhaps a faster checksum mechanism like Adler would
> do as well. Of course, this check can sometimes fail, but that's usually
> not a big problem.

Remember, I want to avoid the slow H(msg), so this simpler version
of your first suggestion might be ok:

    IV, E(H(CRC32(msg))), E(MSG)

But it still suffers from having to read the entire plaintext before being
able to start writing the encrypted result.  So, why then not

    IV, E(msg), E(H(CRC32(msg)))

?  That would mean you'd have to read the entire encrypted stream
before being able to verify the password.  And I guess Paul Rubin
is right in saying doing a hash _and_ a CRC is too complicated for
CS.

So, I go back to one of my first ideas:

    IV, E(E(IV)), E(msg)

Does this obviously give too much away?

John.

------------------------------

From: "John L. Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:54:40 GMT

Mike DeTuri wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it or not but it solves the
> problem of a hash function not being available.
>
> After generating and tossing out the 256 bytes needed to make arcfour
> secure, generate a few more throw-away bytes.  Then attach these
> throw-away bytes to the ciphertext right after the 10 bytes of
> initialization vector.  After the throw-away bytes start attaching the
> ciphertext.  Using your examples below it would look like this:
>
> IV, throw-away bytes, E(msg)
>
> On decryption pull out the IV, generate the 256 bytes of keystream,
> and generate the desired number of throw-away bytes.  Then compare the
> generated throw-away bytes with the throw-away bytes in the
> ciphertext, if they match start decrypting.  If not, display an error
> message and ask for a different passphrase.

Now _that's_ interesting!  Using the rc4 output itself as the "Hash" of
the passphrase.  I think I like it.  But is giving away some of the
rc4 stream to the attacker a good idea?  Maybe

    IV, E(throw-away bytes), E(msg)

would be better?

John.

------------------------------

From: "John L. Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:58:14 GMT

Sorry, but I don't really follow what you were saying there.
I'll have read it again sometime.  And in any event, it seems
_way_ too complicated to add to CS, however great it may be.

John.

------------------------------

From: Frank Gerlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Speed of factoring
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:39:44 +0100

Soeren Gammelmark wrote:
> =

> Hi
> =

> Yeasterday I read in Applied Cryptography, that the time-estimate of th=
> fastest variants of the quadratic sieve was
> e^((1+0(1))ln(n)^(1/2)ln(ln(n))^(1/2))
> What I don't understand is the 0(1)? =

I think it means something like "some constant" (comes from Order
of(1)).
For example, O(n) for a search algorithm means that search time
increases with the length n linearly.

------------------------------

From: "Kristopher Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What happens when RSA keys don't use primes?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:26:01 GMT

I understand that the chance of failure is practically zero.  But, is there
is some easy, inexpensive way to test for failure, and if so, what is it?

-- Kris

news:3u6u6.98761$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Reeds)
Subject: Chinese Telegraph Code
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:41:04 GMT

A generalized question/request, and an announcement:

1.  I want to find out everything I can about the old 4 digit Chinese
Telegraph Code.  What were the different editions and publishers, is
it still in print, can one buy copies?  Is it still in use?  To what
extent was it standardized?  And if so, by whom, exactly?

2.  What I know about the subject is posted on a web page,

        http://www.research.att.com/~reeds/ctc.html

I'd be really grateful for any corrections or additions which occur to
you.

--
Jim Reeds, AT&T Labs - Research
Shannon Laboratory, Room C229, Building 103

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe H. Acker)
Subject: Re: Multiple encryption, more secure ciphers
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:41:06 +0100

SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe H. Acker) wrote in

> >My assumption is that the subkey derivation is the most important factor
> >in such a single-cipher multiple encryption, so I'm looking for a better
> >way to derive subkeys than just hashing them. Any ideas?
> >
> >How about k2 = hash(xor(k1, ct_i)) where ct_i is the last ciphertext
> >block of the previous round...?

I must have been mentally absent when I wrote the last passage.

>   Not exactly sure what your saying or doing here remember you also
> have to decrypt it.

Yes, indeed. ;)

So apart from my mindless suggestion, is there a good way to combine one
and the same cipher using one key? I'm looking for a subkey schedule
that makes the different round keys as independant as possible, although
they are all derived from the same original key. (I cannot use different
keys because I don't have enough entropy.)

Regards,

Erich

------------------------------

From: John Myre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FYI: trivia regarding DES terminology
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:50:43 -0700

Panu H=E4m=E4l=E4inen wrote:
<snip>
> DEA (Data Encryption Algorithm) is just another name for DES (Data Encr=
yption
> Standard). I believe DEA is used by ANSI and DES by NIST.

It is true that DEA and DES are synonyms to practically
everyone (at least, those who have heard of DEA).

Strictly speaking, though, "DES" is not the algorithm at all,
but the document defining it, which belongs to NIST.  The
document is also known as "FIPS 46-3", the third revision of
Federal Information Processing Standard 46.  I don't know what
ANSI does, but I'd bet they stick with the "proper" terminology
and refer to DEA when they mean the algorithm.

Actually, the standard defines not just DEA, but TDEA, which
is better known as "triple DES".  So the distinction between
DES (the standard) and DEA (the algorithm) is meaningful, but
I'm not sure even the NIST staffers care.  In fact, anyone who
tried to enforce the distinction would be regarded as hopelessly
pedantic, or a member of a government standards board.

JM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe H. Acker)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:57:36 +0100

John L. Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Joe H. Acker" wrote:

> Remember, I want to avoid the slow H(msg), so this simpler version
> of your first suggestion might be ok:
>
>     IV, E(H(CRC32(msg))), E(MSG)
>
> But it still suffers from having to read the entire plaintext before being
> able to start writing the encrypted result.  So, why then not
>
>     IV, E(msg), E(H(CRC32(msg)))
>
> ?  That would mean you'd have to read the entire encrypted stream
> before being able to verify the password.  And I guess Paul Rubin
> is right in saying doing a hash _and_ a CRC is too complicated for
> CS.
>
> So, I go back to one of my first ideas:
>
>     IV, E(E(IV)), E(msg)
>
> Does this obviously give too much away?

Please note that I'm an amateur, so others please correct me if I claim
something wrong. I'd say that double-encrypting the IV does not add
significant security. How about

IV, E(salt+IV), E(msg)

where salt is a few pseudo-random bytes from a PRNG. You can use Arcfour
as the PRNG, and the actual entropy of the random seed will be
implementation depend. Even if the entropy source is not optimal, this
seems more secure to me than just encrypting IV (known plaintext).

Regards,

Erich