Cryptography-Digest Digest #1, Volume #14        Sun, 25 Mar 01 20:13:00 EST

Contents:
  [WARNING] NSA requires most of tasteful CIA  (Anonymous)
  [INFO] Rascal uses most of tasty FBI  (Anonymous)
  The dog absolutely used CIA  (Anonymous)
  [WARNING] Cracow2 requires these pommies (Anonymous)
  LefArris would love to print most of MIX keys (Anonymous)
  Re: Cracker fucking loves to encode republicans (Anonymous)
  Green fucking would love plenty of jews (Anonymous)
  [ANNOUNCE] Winter wants these VB code (Anonymous)
  Re: Compression-encryption with a key ("Douglas A. Gwyn")
  Re: A new DES? ("Douglas A. Gwyn")
  Re: 64 versus 128 (or bigger) bits cipher data block (Terry Ritter)
  Passthru fucking asks PGP code (Frog2)
  Septic sure would love all some NSA  (lcs Mixmaster Remailer)
  [INFO] Xganon sure used to write remaining of sick C++ code (lcs Mixmaster Remailer)
  Farout needs to infect ass-holes (lcs Mixmaster Remailer)
  Re: Compression-encryption with a key (SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY)
  Re: Data dependent arcfour via sbox feedback ("Henrick Hellström")
  Re: Compression-encryption with a key ("Tom St Denis")
  Our newsgroup under attack (John Savard)
  Re: Our newsgroup under attack ("Tom St Denis")
  Re: Simple block cipher (Gregory G Rose)
  Re: Simple block cipher ("Tom St Denis")
  Re: [STATS] Septic asks more of nice TLA (Steve Portly)
  Re: A new DES? ("John A. Malley")

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:43:09 +0200
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [WARNING] NSA requires most of tasteful CIA
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

[WARNING] Cracow requires to fuck more of Aids-infected TLA
Senshi wants to read politically correct carrots
0,3796901 0,1572365 0,5193606 -2001/03/25 17:45:38-
Script-Kiddie MASTER of APAS/ADRU/SM/AUK
For a 21st Century completely REMAILER-FREE
That CRAP brought to you by request from Thomas J. BOSCHLOO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
TLA fucking needs to print obnoxious FBI
Passthru used obnoxious VB code
Farout asks to print onions

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:54:16 -0700
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [INFO] Rascal uses most of tasty FBI
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

The dog certainly used to write Pangborn
Rot13 would love all radishes
Gates sure requires to encode sick TLA
Gates sure requires terrible NSA
0,4210037 0,6382151 0,6991663 -2001/03/25 16:38:31-

Date: 25 Mar 2001 23:54:57 -0000
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The dog absolutely used CIA
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

NSA sure loves some tasteful democrats
Senshi fucking needs to infect remaining of obnoxious faggots
[STATS] Cracow used to sodomize more of these obnoxious radishes
6,738877E-02 0,4938597 0,6228331 -2001/03/25 17:24:07-

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:00:01 +0200
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [WARNING] Cracow2 requires these pommies
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

Tuttle loves to code tasty FBI
CIA fucking asks nice TLA
[WARNING] NSA would love to read faggots
CIA used FBI
0,7747926 0,6037649 0,2842675 -2001/03/25 17:21:11-

Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:07:48 -0000
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LefArris would love to print most of MIX keys
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

0,7977324 0,7225676 0,4899933 -2001/03/25 17:42:43-
Script-Kiddie MASTER of APAS/ADRU/SM/AUK
For a 21st Century completely REMAILER-FREE
That CRAP brought to you by request from Thomas J. BOSCHLOO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NSA absolutely wants priapic NSA
Mix would love to fuck all obnoxious Pangborn

------------------------------

Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:07:48 -0000
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cracker fucking loves to encode republicans
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

Farout would love some niggers
Exonet needs to fuck sympathetic CIA
0,6101471 0,5700524 0,6558516 -2001/03/25 16:51:34-

From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Green fucking would love plenty of jews
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:13:16 +0200 (CEST)

Gore needs to fist-fuck jews
FBI loves to fuck politically correct TLA
0,9202597 0,473272 8,021653E-03 -2001/03/25 17:43:12-
Script-Kiddie MASTER of APAS/ADRU/SM/AUK
For a 21st Century completely REMAILER-FREE
That CRAP brought to you by request from Thomas J. BOSCHLOO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stealth wants priapic Pangborn

------------------------------

From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Winter wants these VB code
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:16:57 +0200 (CEST)

My sister requires most of priapic VB code
0,1545967 0,5634736 0,6077781 -2001/03/25 16:34:55-

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compression-encryption with a key
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:22:34 GMT

"SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY" wrote:
>    I can't win in your mind if you make rules as one goes.

Here is another way of putting the matter.  *If* some given
general symmetric-key system (known to the attacker) is used
to encrypt a plaintext that is M bits long, using a key that
is K bits long, and K << M (standard notation for "is much
smaller than"), if the source of the plaintext has a reasonable
amount of redundancy (such as is true of any natural-language
text), if the general system is capable of encrypting arbitrary
M-bit patterns, and if the attacker has unlimited computing
resources, then in principle all 2^K possible key values can be
used for trial decryptions.  Of the 2^K recovered plaintexts,
the vast majority *must* be garbage, meaning not generatable
from the assumed plaintext source, and that property should be
readily testable.  (Any compression etc. is factored into the
general system.)  Sketch of proof:  If only 2^K plaintexts
were reasonable under the source model, the source would have
vastly more redundancy than assumed.  (2^K <<< 2^M.)  So, to
prevent checking for reasonableness of recovered plaintext,
some of the assumptions must be made invalid.  For example,
the source could have uniform random characteristics, or the
attacker could have insufficient resources to try 2^K
decryptions, or K can be comparable to M (in which case why
not use a simple OTP system).

------------------------------

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A new DES?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:27:43 GMT

"Ryan M. McConahy" wrote:
> The 512 bit key is to keep us ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE we will be safe
> from water computers.

I'm not sure what a water computer is, but in any case, how does it
do that?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Ritter)
Subject: Re: 64 versus 128 (or bigger) bits cipher data block
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:34:43 GMT

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:10:27 +0200, in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in sci.crypt Mok-Kong Shen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Terry Ritter wrote:
>>
>> First, I think a block should be large enough to contain more
>> plaintext entropy than the key.  A reasonable approach might assume 1
>> bit per character, which would imply 80 characters or more, a 640 bit
>> block, minimum.  Alternately, for a 256-bit block, we would need about
>> 3 times the expected entropy in our plaintext, which may be achievable
>> with appropriate compression.
>
>What is the size of the key in the above context?

I take 80 bits to be a reasonable estimate of the current limits of a
searchable information space.

>What is
>the rationale that a block should be large enough to
>contain more plaintext entropy than the key? Thanks.

Plaintext with insufficient uncertainty essentially becomes "known
plaintext."  One can also avoid this by placing random "extra data"
within the block, but that reduces the amount of plaintext.

---
Terry Ritter   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.io.com/~ritter/
Crypto Glossary   http://www.io.com/~ritter/GLOSSARY.HTM

------------------------------

From: Frog2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:31:05 -0000
Subject: Passthru fucking asks PGP code
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

Senshi fucking uses Pangborn
0,6855683 0,8622214 9,904683E-02 -2001/03/25 17:15:26-
Script-Kiddie MASTER of APAS/ADRU/SM/AUK
For a 21st Century completely REMAILER-FREE
That CRAP brought to you by request from Thomas J. BOSCHLOO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
LefArris loves MIX keys

------------------------------

Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:40:13 -0000
From: lcs Mixmaster Remailer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Septic sure would love all some NSA
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

NSA needs smelly C++ code
His cat used plenty of pommies
Dizum absolutely would love to read more of CIA
CIA fucking requires MIX keys
0,9944332 0,3577461 0,5961155 -2001/03/25 17:37:49-

Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:40:22 -0000
From: lcs Mixmaster Remailer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [INFO] Xganon sure used to write remaining of sick C++ code
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

[ANNOUNCE] NSA wants most of algorithm
Frog would love niggers
[STATS] CIA absolutely wants to print all these radishes
0,9205159 0,5542293 0,2074714 -2001/03/25 17:02:59-
Script-Kiddie MASTER of APAS/ADRU/SM/AUK
For a 21st Century completely REMAILER-FREE
That CRAP brought to you by request from Thomas J. BOSCHLOO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
His cat sure requires those TLA

------------------------------

Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:40:30 -0000
From: lcs Mixmaster Remailer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Farout needs to infect ass-holes
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp

Uppnorth fucking wants all those gentle C++ code
Dizum uses those politically correct FBI
Austria asks to print faggots
Mix asks plenty of spotty toilet paper
0,1070812 0,4856832 0,87716 -2001/03/25 17:35:26-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:25:42 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom St Denis) wrote in
<Hgvv6.133535$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hmm... I don't follow ya.  If your decompressor only outputs A-Z then it
>can't accept binary files (and vice versa).  Which clearly violates your
>1-1 statement.

   Yes it can if your not to lazy you can test it. Instead of repeating
your lies.

>Or do you mean it expands the file using A-Z as the base?  Aww... but
>still the "english grammar" will kick ya since random A-Z will still not
>look right ...SDKHQWIORYQWEUIHFWEJFHWEJKFHWEIFWUIRYWUIHIO ....

  yes your correct the above is most likely not a message and you
could eliminate the above case. But many are still close. I don't
think you have a clue as how it works.
  Also again. Matts gets your favorite in the ass and still is bijective.

Scott famous encryption website **now all allowed**
        http://members.xoom.com/ecil/index.htm
Scott LATEST UPDATED source for scott*u.zip
        http://radiusnet.net/crypto/  then look for
  sub directory scott after pressing CRYPTO
Scott famous Compression Page
        http://members.xoom.com/ecil/compress.htm
**NOTE EMAIL address is for SPAMERS***
I leave you with this final thought from President Bill Clinton:

------------------------------

From: "Henrick Hellström" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Data dependent arcfour via sbox feedback
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:43:01 +0200

"Terry Ritter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If "certain countries" is intended to slight the US, I just note that
> entirely similar patent laws are in force in Europe.  Dynamic
> Substitution is not a "software patent."

Sorry, no. You cannot get an European patent for software, algorithms etc.
You can only get European patents for inventions patentable in all EU member
states. Software etc does not belong to this category.

--
Henrick Hellström  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
StreamSec HB  http://www.streamsec.com

------------------------------

From: "Tom St Denis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:49:20 GMT

"SCOTT19U.ZIP_GUY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom St Denis) wrote in
> <Hgvv6.133535$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Hmm... I don't follow ya.  If your decompressor only outputs A-Z then it
> >can't accept binary files (and vice versa).  Which clearly violates your
> >1-1 statement.
> >

>    Yes it can if your not to lazy you can test it. Instead of repeating
> your lies.

Dude I posted in the same message that I got what you are saying.  why did
you continue to insult me?

> >Or do you mean it expands the file using A-Z as the base?  Aww... but
> >still the "english grammar" will kick ya since random A-Z will still not
> >look right ...SDKHQWIORYQWEUIHFWEJFHWEJKFHWEIFWUIRYWUIHIO ....
> >

>   yes your correct the above is most likely not a message and you
> could eliminate the above case. But many are still close. I don't
> think you have a clue as how it works.

Let's do some math.  There are about what 5,000, five-letter words (rough
guess).  There are 26^5=11881376 possible 5 letter words.  That means the
probability of hitting a valid 5 letter word is 5000/11881376 = 2^-11.21.
Which means 1 in 2048 keys will decrypt a five letter word to that.

Not to mention that using only A-Z is invalid for english messages.  You
need periods, commas, spaces, capitals, numbers.  That's about
26+26+1+1+1+10=65 letters.  i.e that's now about say 10000/65^5 = 2^-16.82.
Or about 1 in 131072 keys will decrypt valid five letter words...

etc. etc etc.

Obviously if you spent time on it you can mount a heuristic attack against a
complete message... But the bottom line is the probability of randomly
hitting a valid english message is low...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Savard)
Subject: Our newsgroup under attack
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:39:50 GMT

Well, I suppose it finally had to happen. Some idiot is sending
randomized messages built from canned phrases massively into this
newsgroup.

John Savard
http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/crypto.htm

------------------------------

From: "Tom St Denis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Our newsgroup under attack
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:51:13 GMT

"John Savard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well, I suppose it finally had to happen. Some idiot is sending
> randomized messages built from canned phrases massively into this
> newsgroup.

Mail filter = good.

I can't see why anyone would waste their bandwidth on this...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G Rose)
Subject: Re: Simple block cipher
Date: 25 Mar 2001 16:53:31 -0800

In article <8nvv6.133568$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Basically pick a p=prime in GF(2^32).  Then make up eight key pairs <a,b>

By "prime" you mean "irreducible", right? When you
define a Galois Field you are already specifying a
polynomial to define the multiplication operator.
Is that the one you mean? Or is this a different
"p" in addition to the one you use to define the
field? I assume the former, since choosing a
different one, it would have to have degree less
than 32 to be meaningful, but then it would leave
at least one bit of the output untouched.

>for the function F(x) = ax + b mod p (GF math). Obviously making the <a, b>
>pairs via a key schedule is a good idea.  Then use F as your round function.

There are a couple of apparent problems here.
Randomly chosen "a"s will have about a 50% chance
of not being generators, therefore not all outputs
from your decorrelation function will be possible.
This may lead to an attack, I don't know.

More importantly, your function is entirely
linear! So I don't understand what you mean when
you say:

>If in each round you use a different pair and they are somewhat random and
>independent then diff/linear attacks become impossible.

I believe that there's an extremely
straightforward algebraic attack, given any two
known plaintext/ciphertext pairs, to recover the
net effect of the multiplications and XORs.

Note that the decorrelation function of Vaudenay,
Stern, et al is *integer* multiplication, not "GF math".

>I implemented such a 8-round feistel and I got 121 cycles per block on my
>Athlon 800mhz (that's 6.5 Million blocks per second).  About the same speed
>as 12-round RC5.

How did you do the "GF math" as you put it?

>I was wondering what other attacks are possible?  (assume a good key
>schedule).
>
>My code (transcribed to html :-o) is at
>
>http://tomstdenis.home.dhs.org/src/tc6.c.html

OK, so to answer my own questions, I went and
looked at your code, and my understanding is that
it is entirely linear (actually affine, but that's
common terminology), and you could make it go
even faster by working out the algebraic answer
and just doing a couple of multiplications and
xors. But it's useless for cryptography.

Greg.
--
Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199

------------------------------

From: "Tom St Denis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:59:22 GMT

"Gregory G Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:99m3ub$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8nvv6.133568$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Basically pick a p=prime in GF(2^32).  Then make up eight key pairs <a,b>
>
> By "prime" you mean "irreducible", right? When you
> define a Galois Field you are already specifying a
> polynomial to define the multiplication operator.
> Is that the one you mean? Or is this a different
> "p" in addition to the one you use to define the
> field? I assume the former, since choosing a
> different one, it would have to have degree less
> than 32 to be meaningful, but then it would leave
> at least one bit of the output untouched.

I mean a GF polynomial not Zp

> >for the function F(x) = ax + b mod p (GF math). Obviously making the <a,
b>
> >pairs via a key schedule is a good idea.  Then use F as your round
function.

> There are a couple of apparent problems here.
> Randomly chosen "a"s will have about a 50% chance
> of not being generators, therefore not all outputs
> from your decorrelation function will be possible.
> This may lead to an attack, I don't know.

a doesn't have to be a generator.  It's just a multiplication.  As long as
'a' is not zero it will work.

> More importantly, your function is entirely
> linear! So I don't understand what you mean when
> you say:

It's linear but finding the linear trait to use is hard.

> >If in each round you use a different pair and they are somewhat random
and
> >independent then diff/linear attacks become impossible.
>
> I believe that there's an extremely
> straightforward algebraic attack, given any two
> known plaintext/ciphertext pairs, to recover the
> net effect of the multiplications and XORs.

Ahh but you can't figure a pair of inputs since there is more then one round
in the cipher... i.e y = F(F(x)) you don't know the output of the inner
function.  Of course I use addition in Z to break up the structure in the
feistel.  The cipher isn't just a call to F(x) it's a feistel!

> Note that the decorrelation function of Vaudenay,
> Stern, et al is *integer* multiplication, not "GF math".

Note.  Coconut98 uses GF math.  Peanut and DFC use Zp

> >I implemented such a 8-round feistel and I got 121 cycles per block on my
> >Athlon 800mhz (that's 6.5 Million blocks per second).  About the same
speed
> >as 12-round RC5.
>
> How did you do the "GF math" as you put it?

I did the multiplication via four 8x32's

> >I was wondering what other attacks are possible?  (assume a good key
> >schedule).
> >
> >My code (transcribed to html :-o) is at
> >
> >http://tomstdenis.home.dhs.org/src/tc6.c.html
>
> OK, so to answer my own questions, I went and
> looked at your code, and my understanding is that
> it is entirely linear (actually affine, but that's
> common terminology), and you could make it go
> even faster by working out the algebraic answer
> and just doing a couple of multiplications and
> xors. But it's useless for cryptography.

I don't see how you can dismiss it so quickly.  Decorrelation theory has
good first order resistance.  Considering the structure of the attack a
linear/diff  attack is hard only ebcause you don't know which linear bias or
difference to use.

Consider F(x) = ax + b

Where 'a' and 'b' are random.  Well the output difference <x, y> vs. <x',
y'> where delta = x xor x' is random dependent only on 'a'.  If you don't
know 'a' finding a valid pair is hard.  Because it's a feistel structure you
have to attack the last round first and you don't really know the output of
the last round making an attack very hard.

From: Steve Portly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp
Subject: Re: [STATS] Septic asks more of nice TLA
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:02:20 -0500

Tom St Denis wrote:

> "Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tr: Swiss fucking needs all some NSA
> > TLA sure asks more of those republicans
> > Bush loves to code tasteful CIA
> > 6,562853E-02 0,9349315 0,2422448 -2001/03/25 16:57:30-
> > Script-Kiddie MASTER of APAS/ADRU/SM/AUK
> > For a 21st Century completely REMAILER-FREE
> > That CRAP brought to you by request from Thomas J. BOSCHLOO
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Clinton wants to fuck carrots
> > [WARNING] His cat needs most of those obnoxious mexicans
> > Re: TLA uses to eat radishes
>
> What the hell is this crap?
>
> Tom

Looks like it could have originated from one of those Stegano packages
that writes really bad poetry.  Perhaps the numeric part holds a key to
its decryption.

------------------------------

From: "John A. Malley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:06:48 -0800

"Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote:

> "Ryan M. McConahy" wrote:
> > The 512 bit key is to keep us ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE we will be safe
> > from water computers.
>
> I'm not sure what a water computer is, but in any case, how does it
> do that?

The only water computer I recall appeared in "Rollerball" - the science
fiction movie from 1976.
The Corporations ruled the world and the water computer helped the
Corporations.

Believe it or not there's a picture of it (from the movie) on the Web at
http://utenti.tripod.it/duo/19_movie.jpg

The remake comes out this summer.

John A. Malley