From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JimD)
Subject: Re: Cryptoanalysis Illegal ???
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:20:59 GMT

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:43:47 +0100, "Jakob Jonsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I remember the early 90s, when some vendors made it illegal to break
>encryption algorithms that were part of certain software programs

How can vendors make cryptanalysis illegal? Only governments
can do that.

<(e.g.,
>some word processors). More precisely, when you purchased the software, you
>had to sign a contract disclaiming your rights to cryptanalyze (or
>reverse-engineer) the algorithm or have it cryptanalyzed by someone else. I
>know it didn't prevent people from analyzing and breaking the algorithms
>anyway, but maybe it scared one or two law-abiding potential code crackers
>away.

That still didn't make it illegal. Unwise, possibly, if the vendor
got to hear about it, but not illegal.

You have to get clear the difference between a criminal act and
ligitation by a vendor against a cryptanalyist.

--
______________________________

Posted by Jim Dunnett
dynastic at cwcom.net
nordland at lineone.net

------------------------------

From: Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PRNG
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:20:22 +0100

Cristiano wrote:

> "Mok-Kong Shen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Cristiano wrote:
> > >
> > [snip]
> > > It generate numbers to 32 bits evenly distributed (at least as it seem)
> and
> > > pass all the statistical tests.
> >
> > How do you know that you have applied ALL the statistical
> > tests (that exist)? Have you applied the NIST tests?
>
> Yes. With 10^8 bits.
> Some other idea?

Could you say something about your experience with the
NIST tests? Is the package user-friendly? Could you give
some idea of how well your generator passes the tests?

BTW, your generator is commonly termed (true) RNG, since
PRNG is understood by many to be a deterministic generator.
There used to be experts who commented on generators
based upon physical randomness. Perhaps they are currently
on vacation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 27 Dec 2000 20:26:49 GMT

]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

]>I remember the early 90s, when some vendors made it illegal to break
]>encryption algorithms that were part of certain software programs

]How can vendors make cryptanalysis illegal? Only governments
]can do that.

They can make it so that if you cryptanalyse their product you violate
an explicit contract you sign with them. They are then entitled to sue
you for breach of contract and demand compensation.
1

]You have to get clear the difference between a criminal act and
]ligitation by a vendor against a cryptanalyist.

"illegal" is often used to apply to both civil and criminal law.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:43:44 +0000
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Possible AONT?

Benjamin Goldberg wrote:
> This AONT idea is based very much on the recent thread about order 32
> irreducible GF(2)[x] polynomials.
>
> The security of this is depends on both a 32 bit keyed permutation
> generator, E,

What assumption are you making about E? (Actually it doesn't really
matter because the scheme has weaknesses even if E is a perfect PRP.)

> and a secure hash function, H.
>
> The transform is as follows:
> k = (hash output size) random bytes
> counter = 0
> repeat (filelength/4) times
>         do {
>                 poly = E_k( counter )
>                 counter = counter + 1;
>         } until( irreducible( poly ) );
>         crcval = crc( file, poly );
>         output( crcval );
>         H.add( crcval );
> end repeat
> output( H.result() XOR k );
>
> Reversing the transform is done using CRT.
>
> Any comments?

It is obviously not secure according to the definition of a
computationally-secure AONT in [1] or [2]. Even the first word of
output gives a non-negligable amount of information about the file
(since there are less than 2^32 irreducible 32-bit polys, some
input files are impossible for a given output).

[Can I have a general whinge that people should not try to design
AONTs unless they understand what an AONT is, and in particular how
strict the definition of that term is? There have been several
instances of this recently on sci.crypt.]

[1] Victor Boyko,
    "On All-or-Nothing Transforms and Password-Authenticated Key
     Exchange Protocols,"
    PhD Thesis, MIT, June 2000.
    (should be somewhere at http://www.toc.lcs.mit.edu/~boyko/, but
     that seems to be down at the moment)

[2] Yevgeniy Dodis,
    "Exposure-Resilient Cryptography,"
    PhD Thesis, MIT, August 2000.
    http://www.toc.lcs.mit.edu/~yevgen/ps/phd-thesis.ps

- --
David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 01
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has been
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org/rip

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:24:58 +0000
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Foolproof Quantum Cryptography

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:35:01 +0000
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:47:20 +0000
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RSA == hash function?

From: "Joseph Ashwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MD5 and hash127 questions
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:04:47 -0800

> Hi, I have two questions: 1 Mr.Bruce Schneier's "Secrets and Lies" book,
page
> 94, 5 lines from the bottom: " ...MD5 is showing some cracks and is not
used
> for anythong new." Is this true? What kind of cracks?

That should read "should not be used" instead of "is not used" As others
have said a collision has been found in the compression function. While for
high security purposes this is a critical problem, there are purposes where
this crack is of little interest. It is as always a consideration of what
your actual threat/security model is.

> What about TCP/IP syn
> cookies - they are almost new and they use MD5.

If TCP/IP syn cookies were ever considered a high-security purpose, I think
it would be folly, the use of MD5 simply makes it more apparent to the
layman.

> 2. Some oppinions about Mr. D.JBernstein's hash127 and sigs packages. Can
> make ASCII armored ciphertext with them?

You can make armored ciphertext with just about anything, but that is due to
the fact that armoring ciphertext typically refers to base-64 encoding it to
pass through text-based systems. As to the security of them, like the others
I haven't examined them, however Bernstein is not an unknown to our
community, if it truly is by his authoring then there is likely something to
it, if it isn't than the impersonation alone would be more than enough to
eliminate them permanently from the use of the reasonable.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw)
Subject: Re: GIF image 1x1 pixels (sic)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:08:18 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw) wrote:

> In article <92be4j$8lv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Simon Johnson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > What could you encrypt into a 1 pixel? There just isn't enough data to
> > give the pixel context.
> >
> Ask yourself what 8 to 32 bits can be used for, an amount if information
> that a pixel usually does contain in formats with pixel fidelity.

Concerning a "transparent" webbug, which is another question, to some
browsers, they aren't transparent at all.
--
I heard that Bill Clinton may further his career as an actor with
the lead role in the story of Benny Hill's life.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MCKAY john)
Subject: Re: Q: Result of an old thread?
Date: 27 Dec 2000 21:55:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mok-Kong Shen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Walter Hofmann wrote:
>>
>> Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Let me quote a previous follow-up of yours to be sure that
>> >I understand you:
>> >
>> >   So you can change the coefficiants of AS by a sufficiently
>> >   small epsilon>0 to get an invertible matrix, then you can
       ^^^^^

There is no "small" over these finite fields. You need a decent metric.

JM

--
But leave the wise to wrangle, and with me
the quarrel of the universe let be;

------------------------------

From: Bryan Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: polynomial permutation cipher
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:27:12 GMT

Benjamin Goldberg wrote:

> Now consider t[0] % py[0].  Since
> t[0] is a multiple of ct[0], t[0] % py[0] == ct[0] % py[0].

I think Shen is basically right; there's a mistake in that
last inference.  Since t[0] is a multiple of ct[0], we can say

   t[0] = z * ct[0]

so

   t[0] % py[0] == (ct[0] % py[0]) * (z % py[0]) % py[0]

Your conclusion is true only if z is congruent to 1 modulo
py[0].  Since z is the product of the other polys, that
probably will not be true.  You could multiply each t[i] by
the mod py[i] inverse of the product of the other polys. That
does get you into taking inverses as Shen suggested, but will
only add Theta(n^2) to the run time which is already
Theta(n^3).

You also need to modulate by the product of all the polys.
The proposed flipping of the x^128 bit is not correct.

Garner's algorithm does CRT reconstruction in Theta(n^2) time,
including computation of the inverses.  It's in HAC as
algorithm 14.71, currently on-line for free at:

    http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/

Below I've included a large integer version in Python.

--Bryan

Garner's CRT reconstruction algorithm in Python:

| def inverse_gcd(x, n):
|     """Return (a, d) such that for some integer y:
|             a*x - y*n == d == gcd(x, n).
|     """
|     y, a, b = n, 1, 0
|     while y>0:
|         x, (q, y) = y, divmod(x, y)
|         a, b = b, a - b*q
|     if a < 0:
|         a = a + n
|     return a, x
|
| def inverse(u, v):
|     """Returns the mod v inverse of u."""
|     (result, gcd) = inverse_gcd(u, v)
|     if gcd != 1:
|         result = None
|     return result
|
| def garner_inverses(factor_list):
|     """Return the list of inverses used by Garner's algorithm.
|     Pass a list of n relatively prime factors.  Returns a list
|     of n inverses, where inverse[i] is the mod factor[i] inverse
|     of the product of the preceding factors.  The product of
|     zero factors is 1.
|     """
|     inverse_list = []
|     prod = 1L
|     for p in factor_list:
|         inv = inverse(prod, p)
|         assert inv, "Factors were not all relatively prime."
|         inverse_list.append(inv)
|         prod = prod * p
|     return inverse_list
|

| def garner(residues, factors, inverses=None):
|     """Given lists of residues and relatively prime factors, return
|     the one integer in [0..product of factors) that is congruent to
|     residue[i] mod factor[i] for each i.
|     Optionally pass the inverses for the factors, as returned by
|     garner_inverses.  Returns zero given empty lists.
|     """
|     count = len(residues)
|     assert len(factors) == count
|     if not inverses:
|         inverses = garner_inverses(factors)
|     assert len(inverses) == count
|     (x, r) = (0L, 1L)
|     for i in range(count):
|         u = (residues[i] - x) * inverses[i] % factors[i]
|         x = x + u * r
|         r = r * factors[i]
|     return x
|

| #  Brief demo:
|
| def crt_reduce(m, primes):
|     l = []
|     for p in primes:
|         l.append(m % p)
|     return l
|
| moduli = [31, 101, 71, 1000003, 1007, 100001]
|
| m = 9384719571710914514L
|
| res = crt_reduce(m, moduli)
|
| mz = garner(res, moduli)
|
| print m
| print mz
|
| # Prints:
| #    9384719571710914514
| #    9384719571710914514

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Olson)
Subject: [rijndael] Efficient hardware S-box implementation
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:06:42 -0600

On the Rijndael homepage, there is a paper titled "Efficient
Implementation of the Rijndael S-Box".  The paper states that the
difficult part of the S-box implementation is finding the multiplicative
inverse of an element in GF(256).  In general, this would be a lookup into
a 256-entry, 8-bit table.

It goes on to state that this may be simplified by representing elements
in GF(256) as a 1st-degree polynomial with coefficients in GF(16):

   (bx + c)

with addition defined as vector addition with GF(16) coefficients, and
multiplication as vector multiplication modulo some irreducible degree-2
polynomial x^2 + Ax + B.

However, I cannot find an easy mapping from the representation of elements
in GF(256) to the 2 coefficients b & c in GF(16) -- it appears to be just
as hard as the "brute-force" table lookup method for finding the
multiplicative inverse in GF(256).

Does anyone have an idea of how this might work?

--

     -- Tim Olson