Netscape has received validation from NIST of its triple-DES
(or DES-EDE3) code in its Security Module 1.X.   This means
that NIST does recognize triple-DES as a use of DES (FIPS
46-2) that it is willing to test under its NVLAP [vendor validation
process].

Security Module 1.X is present in Communicator 4.02>and
4.0 Netscape server products.

For evidence of this, please refer to triple-DES certificate# 10 at
http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/cryptval/des/desval.htm (as far as triple-DES).
See also certificate #34.  Overall, our DES, SHA-1,DSA and
DES-EDE3 implementations have been explicitly validated by NIST
on 17 different operating system platforms (NT, UNIX, etc.).

Also, NIST allows Netscape client and server products to enable
triple-DES ciphers in its FIPS 140-1 mode of operation, due to this
explicit validation of triple-DES.

So, what does "Netscape Security Module (ALG
3 DES) v1.8 (when operated in
 the single DES mode)" mean?

It means NIST only has a validation process for single key (in other
words, all 3 of the DES keys set to the same key), which makes the
effect of Encrypt/Decrypt/Encrypt the same as DES.  Thus, their
FIPS 46-2 validation process can test a triple-DES implementation,
since they are setup to test DES-ECB / CBC / OFB,etc.  but only
for single DES.

If you at the 1999 RSA conference, come to the panel discussion on
FIPS 140-1 and bring up this question.  Representatives from NIST
and CSE will be there, so you can get a somewhat authoratative
reponse to this question.

See our FIPS FAQ at
http://home.netscape.com/products/security/resources/faq/fips140-1.html
to know more about Netscape compliance to various cryptostandards
(FIPS 46-2, 180-1, 186, 140-1).