Tom Weinstein wrote:

> Rob Lemos wrote:
>
> > http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2189721,00.html
>
> This just seems like FUD to me.  ID numbers should help detect theft
> and fraud.  They aren't going to compromise privacy.  I expect it's
> going to behave just like the debugging registers.  Nobody is going to
> be able to get at your chip's ID without running software on your system.

No, there's more to it than this.  Otherwise how could Intel claim that
these new features would facilitate electronic commerce?  They must be
planning on binding user identities to the chip ids somehow.  Whether they
are stored in a centralized database, or separately by each credit card
vendor, does not make much difference.  The point is that they are moving
towards a world where all your online transactions will be linked to
your CPUs.

Supposedly, more information will be available from Intel on Thursday.
We can do a better analysis of what they are proposing at that time.