I believe the basic premise of the original articles by James Glave
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and Kathleen Ellis
<v04003a0fb270ca39563c@[204.91.138.223]> is incorrect.

It is not news that Network Associates is in the KRA and has key
recovery technology.

If you enter http://www.pgp.com into your browser your are redirected
to Network Associates' PGP Home page at:
http://www.nai.com/default_pgp.asp

That page has had the link "Key Recovery Important Announcement" which
leads to: http://www.nai.com/products/security/key.asp

As best I can recall, that link has been there since the PGP home page
transitioned from PGP.com to NAI.com early this year.

To save the readers the time surfing:

"Network Associates and Key Recovery

"With the acquisition of Trusted Information Systems (TIS) by Network
Associates, NAI has added a new technology to its product portfolio --
key recovery. This TIS-developed technology addresses the market needs
for encryption key recovery and management. NAI will continue to
provide this technology to the market.

"NAI's PGP product group already provides the capability for
corporations to recover information from PGP products deployed in
corporate environments. The requirement for this capability from
corporations has been evident and well-known for quite sometime.

"However, NAI does not believe there is a need for key recovery in PGP
products for the individual. NAI will develop and market products that
its customers need and want but will not include any technology that
is not required by its customers.

"For more information, please see the Press Release on the Network
Associates web site."

http://www.nai.com/about/news/press/1998/022398.asp (which
specifically mentions the Key Recovery Alliance)

It appears to be clear for all the world to see where Network
Associates has stood with key recovery, PGP and their TIS acquisition.

I'm not commenting on the goodness or badness of any of this, just
that NAI doesn't deserve the accusation that they were trying to sneak
one by anybody.

Regards,

Dave Kennedy CISSP
International Computer Security Assoc http://www.icsainc.com