We are installing home banking systems where the Internet Server
    is separated from the bank's computer center by air. Data is moved
    periodically back and forth using low tech but dependable floppy
    disks that carry only encrypted data (the principle of red/black
    separation is implemented by loading only encrypted data on the
    server). This "air-wall" is an effective way to stop hackers from
    penetrating the bank's computer center using its Internet
    services. This works quite well with services such as users'
    credit-card queries.

    Now, we have a potential client insisting on on-line transaction
    capability. One possible solution is to connect the Internet
    server with a PC on the bank's private network using a serial
    cable. We would write our own transmission protocol. The PC
    working on the bank's network would run a memory resident program
    that services the serial port and will discard any blocks that do
    not decrypt properly or have an invalid structure (only blocks
    that decrypt into the correct data structure would be processed at
    all). Here is the question: Is this as good as thin air? Can you
    see any way a hacker could use such a connection to penetrate the
    bank's network?

Dianelos Georgoudis
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.tecapro.com