On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Bill Stewart wrote:

> You can trivially run a namespace under a 2nd-level domain name, e.g.
>       new-name-format.namegods.com
> or    foo.dyn.ml.org                  <- to cite a real example
> without having to disrupt the worldwide naming system.

Is there some way you could gaurantee for the world that you wouldn't
change your mind about the rules of such a thing and become dictator?

> Some of the small-country name registries have used ambiguity-resolving
> name-spaces, which had forms like
>       www.1234.interesting-name.com.zz
> where multiple participants who wanted interesting-name.com.zz
> each got a number, and the page www.interesting-name.com.zz
> had some indication of which company named interesting-name was which.

Yuck.

I agree with the person who made comments about .to that there's no
particular reason why trademark law should apply to domain names - there's
no particular expectation on the part of the general public that foo.com
will correspond to the company foo, and putting up a web site at foo.com
which claims to be from company foo is no different from impersonating foo
from another domain name. (whitehouse.com seems relevant here)

I was told recently that if you have access to domain name servers you can
in practice create temporary domains using unclaimed domain names -
there's no particular punishment process for doing so, sites of that kind
are just removed eventually.

Does anybody know if/how it's possible to get domain names in the now
defunct .su ? Do you have to be grandfathered in? Is there a chance that
just unilaterally grabbing one might work?

-Bram

(Thinking he should get a domain in .to - that WIPO DNS paper looked kinda
scary)