Thanks for the good pointers that a number of people gave. The particular
incident I remembered was the BARRnet one
  http://www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1993_4/0032.html
(thanks Dan Riley).

I had no idea there had been so many, so well hushed up! MILNET, JANET (4
independent incidents in the UK in Q3 1995 alone), Panix and other ISPs,
several universities, the USENIX terminal room, ...

Some other URLs:
  http://email.tqn.com/library/nus/bl110498-3.htm
  http://www.chips.navy.mil/chips/archives/94_jul/file14.html
  http://www.nic.mil/ftp/mgt/bul-9402.txt

I was also reminded of a paper by Nathaniel Borenstein and others at First
Virtual, about sniffing (network and keyboard) for credit card numbers
using the check digit to identify them. I haven't found the actual paper,
but it was a precursor to:
  http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.96.01.25-96.01.31/msg00618.html

thanks
Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9181-4851   FAX: +61-2-9181-5470
Suite 410, Birkenhead Point,               http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Drummoyne NSW 2047      232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C