--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:55:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Christof Paar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WPI.Crypto.Seminar":;
Subject: WPI Cryptoseminar, Thursday, March 11
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        WPI Cryptography and Information Security Seminar

                         Jens-Peter  Kaps
                          GTE CyberTrust

  Electronic Commerce: An Overview of SET and other Technologies

                        Thursday, March 11
                         4:00 pm, AK 108
                    (refreshments at 3:45 pm)

Electronic Commerce is not an idea that will be realized in some distant
future but it is here today. The value of goods and services sold online
amounts to $40 billion in 1998 and is predicted to rise to $900 billion in
2003. In order to make shopping on the Internet secure several technologies
have been developed, most notably the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) proposed by
Netscape and Secure Electronic Transaction (SET) by Visa, MasterCard, GTE,
IBM and others. SSL is widely used and is about to be superseded by
Transport Layer Security (TLS) proposed by the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF). SET is currently being deployed. This presentation will
provide an overview of technologies for electronic commerce and discuss both
SSL and SET.

DIRECTIONS:

The WPI Cryptoseminar is being held in the Atwater Kent building on the WPI
campus. The Atwater Kent building is at the intersection of West and
Salisbury Street. Directions to the campus can be found at
  http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/directions.html

TALKS IN THE SPRING '99 SEMESTER:

3/4   Jian Zhao, Fraunhofer Center for Research in Computer Graphics
      Mobile Agent Security

3/11  Jens-Peter Kaps, GTE CyberTrust
      Electronic Commerce: An Overview of SET and other Technologies

TBA   Gerardo Orlando, GTE Government Systems/WPI
      Galois Field Multiplier Architectures for FPGAs and their Applications
      to Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems

4/1   Bob Silverman, RSA Labs
      Zero Knowledge Proofs that an Integer is Hard to Factor

4/9   Thomas Blum, WPI
      Modular Arithmetic FPGA Architectures for Public-Key Algorithms
      (MS Thesis Defense)

TBA   Brendon Chetwynd, Thomas Connor, Sheng Deng, Stephen Marchant, WPI
      An Algorithm-Agile Cryptographic Coprocessor Based on FPGAs

See
  http://ece.WPI.EDU/Research/crypt/seminar/index.html
for talk abstracts.

MAILING LIST:

If you want to be added to the mailing list and receive talk
announcements together with abstracts, please send me a short mail.
Likewise, if you want to be removed from the list, just send me a
short mail.

Regards,

Christof Paar

>>>  WORKSHOP ON CRYPTOGRAPHIC HARDWARE AND EMBEDDED SYSTEMS (CHES) <<<
>>>                   WPI, August 12 & 13, 1999                     <<<
>>>         check  http://ece.wpi.edu/Research/crypt/ches           <<<

                 Christof Paar,  Assistant Professor
          Cryptography and Information Security (CRIS) Group
      ECE Dept., WPI, 100 Institute Rd., Worcester, MA 01609, USA
fon: (508) 831 5061    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fax: (508) 831 5491    www:   http://ee.wpi.edu/People/faculty/cxp.html