I am looking for letters, essays, op-ed, or other writings which explain
why privacy is important on the Internet. Most resources seem to simply
assume that privacy is important, without asking or explaining why.

In my limited experience of dealing with administrators, they question why
they should worry about privacy of other people's personal information,
citing the general rise in data warehousing and the old saying "if you've
got nothing to hide..."

So I'm looking for pieces which examine why we should consider our privacy
valuable.