I spent some time looking at the web pages.  In answer to Perry's questions:

At 6:11 PM -0700 5/19/99, Keith Dawson wrote:
>[Some parts of this description make me nervous. Why are PRIVATE keys
>being stored on a server, for instance?

Because you can't store data on a user's machine from a Java applet.  IMHO,
signed applets, which can kind of access the user's disk, are a technology
whose time is not yet.  There are currently 3 different signing models, the
Netscape model, the Microsoft model, and the Javasoft model.  (Macintosh
Runtime for Java (MRJ) implements the Javasoft model and is used by
MSIE/Mac on System 8.5.  I don't know anyone who has succeeded in
distributing a signed applet using the Javasoft model.)

The web pages are very up front in saying that the security of the system
is critically dependent on the passphrase.  I agree.

>Why use SSL to send keys when
>you could use SSL to just send the data?

Then the server would have access to the plaintext.  Ideally, the applet
would generate the symmetric keys and encrypt them with the public key of
the receivers.  I can't remember the details of symmetric key generation,
but they are recommending SSL to avoid Trojan applets.

On the surface, the biggest danger in this system is having a TLA force
them to serve a Trojan applet to one or more clients and using that to
recover the passphrase.  I have not looked at the (available) source, or
verified that the applet derives from that source.

> [...]
>    Mail system.
>
>    HushMail public and private keys are 1024 bits long, and are stored
>    on a server located in Canada. All information sent between the
>    HushApplet and the HushMail server is encrypted via the Blowfish
>    symmetric 128-bit algorithm. The key to this symmetric pipe is ran-
>    domly generated each session by the server and is transferred to the
>    client machine over a secure SSL connection.
>
>    When you sign on as a new user you can choose an anonymous account
>    or an identifiable one. For the latter you have to fill out a dem-
>    ographic profile, to make you more attractive (in the aggregate) to
>    HushMail's advertisers. The HushApplet walks you through generating
>    a public-private key-pair. The process is fun and slick as a smelt.
>    You need to come up with a secure pass-phrase, and in this process
>    HushMail gives only minimal guidance. You might want to visit Arnold
>    Reinhold's Diceware page [4], where he lays out a foolproof pass-
>    phrase protocol utilizing a pair of dice.
>
>    HushMail relies heavily on Java (JVM 1.1.5 or higher), so it can
>    only be used with the latest browsers. The earliest workable version
>    of Netscape's browser is 4.04, but some features don't work in
>    versions before 4.07; the latest version, 4.5, is best. For Internet
>    Explorer users, 4.5 is recommended, but the latest Windows release
>    of IE 4.0 (subversion 4.72.3110) works as well. Red Hat Linux
>    version 5.2 is also tested and supported. Unfortunately, HushMail
>    does not work on Macintoshes, due to limitations in Apple's Java
>    implementation. (Mac users can crawl HushMail under Connectix
>    Virtual PC. Note that I don't say "run." I've tried this
>    interpretation-under-emulation and do not recommend it.) The company
>    is trying urgently to connect with the right people at Apple to get
>    this situation remedied.
>
>    One of the limitations of this early release of HushMail is that en-
>    cryption can only be used to and from another HushMail account. It
>    is not currently possible to export your public/private key-pair, to
>    set up automatic forwarding of mail sent to a HushMail account, or
>    to import non-Hush public keys. I spoke with Cliff Baltzley, Hush's
>    CEO and chief technical wizard. He stresses that Hush's desire and
>    intention is to move toward interoperability with other players in
>    the crypto world, such as PGP and S/MIME. The obstacles to doing so
>    are the constraints on technical resources (read: offshore crypto
>    programmers) and legal questions of intellectual property. Baltzley
>    believes that HushMail's positive impact on privacy worldwide will
>    be enhanced by maximizing the product's openness.
>
>    [1] https://www.hushmail.com/
>    [2] https://www.hushmail.com/faq.htm
>    [3] https://www.hushmail.com/tech_description.htm
>    [4] http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

>Keith Dawson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://dawson.nu/
>Layer of ash separates morning and evening milk.

Bill Frantz       | Macintosh: Didn't do every-| Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | thing right, but did know  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | the century would end.     | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA