At 9:51 AM -0700 5/31/15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Maybe you could make your own local html page and download the applet
>JAR file once and for all, then refer to that when you wanted to use hushmail.
>Or better still, build the applet file yourself, if they supply the
>source.  I'm not
>sure if the Java rules would allow a local applet loaded by a browser to do
>internet access, though.

There are several possibilities here:

(1) If the Applet runs without it's surrounding web page, you can run it in
the applet runner.  The applet runner allows you to set the security
parameters to allow web access.

(2) You can run it as a "trusted" applet in Netscape 4 or MSIE 4/5.  The
details of getting it to be trusted vary depending on browser and platform.
Here is what I can vaguely remember about the rules:

(a) Windows:  Both Netscape and MSIE will allow you to sign the applet with
a locally generated signature key, and then ask you if you want to trust
yourself.  However since their security models and implementations are
different, you need to jump thru different hoops to sign the applet.  MSIE
uses a .cab file and Netscape uses a .jar file.

(b) Macintosh Netscape:  The JVM is really a Java 1.0 implementation.
(i.e. No new AWT event model.  No security classes.)  If the applet will
run in that environment, you can use the same Netscape signatures as on
Windows.

(c) Macintosh MSIE, System 8.5 and successors:  MSIE 4 uses the Apple MRJ
virtual machine.  MRJ uses the Javasoft security model and automatically
assigns all privileges to applets loaded from the local disk.  Go for it.

(d) Macintosh MSIE, Systems before 8.5:  MSIE gives a choice of using MRJ
(see point c) or the Microsoft Java VM.  The Microsoft JVM uses the same
Microsoft signing as under Windows.  (The Microsoft JVM doesn't run on
system 8.5.)

(e) Linux, Solaris etc.:  Netscape signing works on these platforms.

(3) Since the source is available, you can convert it to a Java application.

(4) (and least desirable) Some browsers allow you to set the security
settings to, "I like unprotected sex in bathhouses."  Caveat Emptor!

Bill Frantz | The availability and use of secure encryption may         |
Periwinkle  | offer an opportunity to reclaim some portion of           |
Consulting  | the privacy we have lost. - B. FLETCHER, Circuit Judge    |