> At 01:14 PM 6/26/99 -0700, Sameer Parekh wrote:
> >> What's intriguing is whether PECSENC, now headed by an ex-NSA
> >> honcho, is going to bite NSA's sigint bullet

Vin McLellan responded:

> Unfortunately, the new chair of PECSENC is William P. Crowell, who
> became President of Cylink about 6 months after he retired as Deputy
> Director of the NSA.  I believe Crowell took over in May.

I don't pretend to know what Mr. Crowell believes in his heart of hearts,
but I talked to him briefly after the Bernstein ruling. He told me that, as
CEO of Cylink, he was sworn to maximize profits for the company, which meant
opposing _anything_ (his words) which hindered his company's ability to sell
domestically or abroad.

I asked him how he thought people would respond to that, given his previous
role in the encryption wars.

"I haven't changed," he told me. "The world has." In other words, he said
(and we printed in my previous employer's publication), foreign availability
has simply made export restrictions irrelevant.

Will Rodger
USA Today.com
(speaking only for myself)