Yup. Same ole stuff, shovelled out the same ole way.  The part I find
aggravating was the report's brassy assurance that corporate users need
real-time surreptitious access to employees encrypted communications.  In
Congressional testimony, not even DFBI Freeh can make that case with a
straight face.

        Suerte,
                          _Vin

At 02:48 PM 7/6/99 -0500, Rick Smith wrote:
>I took the time to look at this report while stuck on an airplane (we use
>Northwest up here) and I'm astonished that the FBI can't do any better than
>this. They trotted out the same old anecdotes of this terrorist
>"recommending" crypto to friends and that investigation "encountering"
>encrypted files whose contents they describe (so what's the big deal if
>they can read them, eh?). I wish they'd at least work up some new material.
>
>It's a useful document if you need something to cite as a source of the
>FBI's position.
>
>At least I didn't come across any lame assertion of "Crypto is bad, but we
>can't tell you why because the details are all classified...." But I might
>have missed it.
>
>Rick.

--------
  "Cryptography is like literacy in the Dark Ages. Infinitely potent,
for good and ill... yet basically an intellectual construct, an idea,
which by its nature will resist efforts to restrict it to bureaucrats
and others who deem only themselves worthy of such Privilege."
  _A Thinking Man's Creed for Crypto  _vbm

 *     Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    *
      53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548