At 04:00 PM 7/10/99 -0500, Steve Hawkinson wrote:
>Does anybody have any ideas on what would be a good algorithm for
>encrypting filenames?  I would like for the alogorithm to do compression
>also.  CFS uses an algorithm that lengthens the filename, thereby shortening
>the maximum allowed length of the clear text filename.  I want to avoid
>this and possibly store extra metadata in the filename.

What are you trying to accomplish by encrypting them?
What's the environment you're planning to use them in?
What's your threat model?
Is it ok to always use the same key?  (Thus, 3-DES is fine.)
Do you need two-way encryption, or is a 1-way hash adequate?
                                Thanks!
                                        Bill
Bill Stewart, [EMAIL PROTECTED]