Right. Some of the congresscritters who voted yesterday for the natsec
version of SAFE were ostensible supporters of the business version.

True, this particular natsec version of SAFE doesn't include domestic
controls -- plenty of time for Freeh to try that later -- but export
relief? Fuggetaboutit.

The sponsor of yesterday's amendment, Rep. Weldon, said that he wants to
have a classified briefing //on the House floor// to scare members into
voting his way. Look for killer amendments to SAFE to be offered during
that floor vote, perhaps even ones with domestic controls.

But, heck, at least this fuss keeps business lobbyists, well, in business.
(I was at an FTC hearing Tuesday and by the afternoon it was winding down,
fairly useless panel discussions were dragging on. But a lobbyist for a
multibillion Internet company told me he wasn't going to leave. "No fucking
way -- I'm billing by the hour.")

-Declan