Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
>What's the point of using publick key technologies like ECC to protect
>private documents?

The device or terminal I'm using at the moment may not be a
persistently secure part of my TCB.  In particular:

(a) I might want to bring a Palm travelling but keep my
secret key at home, so that my key is not compromised if
the device is stolen.

(b) I might be borrowing a friend's device.  (I'm trusting the
friend with the confidentiality of this particular document,
but not with my secret key).

(c) I might be accessing the encrypting device through an untrusted
terminal (into which I don't want to type my passphrase).

With public key crypto I can encrypt to self without having secure
access to my TCB.  There are probably many other variations on this
theme.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.best.com/~szabo/
PGP D4B9 8A17 9B90 BDFF 9699  500F 1068 E27F 6E49 C4A2