>As we only had a small copier, I fairly frequently went to the copy
>shop in Kensington High Street. I noticed that whenever I ordered n
>copies of a document, the thing would flash n+1 times. `Nice one', I
>thought, and kept my mouth shut

I'm no expert on the photocopier technology of the early 80's, and I
certainly have no idea what kind of copier your Kensington copy shop used,
but what you describe is perfectly normal behavior in at least some
copiers.  I remember noticing an extra flash every time I copied
something on a Bell Labs copier (that happened to located just down the
hall from a secure "vault").  My paranoia juices pumping at full capacity,
I opened the copier late one night when no one was looking, expecting to
find the cache of "escrowed" copied documents, or perhaps a microfilm camera.
What I did find was a copy of the copier manual, which explained
that an extra flash is measures density and makes exposure adjustments
before each copy run.  I have no idea how many models of copier do this.

Now when I see an extra flash from a copy machine I apply Occam's
Razor and ignore it.  Of course, Occam might give us a rather
different explanation when there are Iraqi and Iranian arms buyers down
the street, as you point out.

-matt