Several newspapers have reported that the U.S. government will announce major
changes in the crypto export rules.  See, for example,
http://www.sjmercury.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/enc091699.htm; there's also
been coverage on zdnet and the Wall Street Journal.  I'll hold off posting
details until after the official announcement, and remember that the devil is
in the details -- according to the reports I've heard privately, the formal
rules won't be out till December.  The main thing to watch for, in my opinion,
is the criteria for the one-time review for exporting strong crypto.

                --Steve Bellovin