At 12:41 PM 9/20/99 -0700, Rob Lemos wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good product for encrypting information on the fly,
>meaning encrypt the file when you close it and decrypt it when you open it.
>It would also be nice if it would ask you whether you wanted the file you
>are just closing to be encrypted. That is, it builds a list as you use your
>computer, rather than requiring the user to be explicit up front.
>
>PGP requires too many steps to be truly useful here.

Agreed.

>Any suggestions?

I use `scramdisk` which is a virtual-volume encryptor for Wintel machines.
Uses a .vxd.  Its stable.  I run it on several W95 machines.

You can
run executables which live in the encrypted partition, too, which
makes administration/organization easier (e.g., your email client keeps
your data files (contact addresses; messages) here and there; easiest to drag
the whole directory to an encrypted volume).

Remember to wipe the originals; this is an included feature.  There
is also a wipe swap function.

[non-disclaimer: I have nothing to gain by promoting it.]

PS: there is a web page out there on making a secure laptop using
freeware.  Makes good, practical reading.  I haven't the URL, sorry.