At 06:53 PM 9/24/99 -0700, Eugene Leitl wrote:

>I've recently aquired a video camera (bttv-based 3Com Bigpicture, can
>do 30 fps true color 640x480). I've noticed that under certain
>conditions images can become quite noisy. Does anyone has data on the
>amount and quality of the entropy produced?

Even if I had the same hardware, perhaps the tolerances on my ADCs are
different from yours.

And illumination levels will affect certain kinds of noise.

The point: Measure it.

Use Shannon's entropy formula, for instance.

>I wouldn't mind any pointers to sources extracting, say, LSB from
>grabbed frames.

Distill (irreversibly compress, e.g., by xor'ing several words together)
your data.  Measure again; distill again until 1 bit/baud.  Hash before use.

Any OTP tool should facilitate or automate these steps.