Keith Dawson[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] writes:
>Sent:  Thursday, September 30, 1999 9:00 AM
>Subject:       Rumor of a working quantum computer
>To:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Anyone heard word on this rumor? The Sunday Times story claims
>that a European Institute of Quantum Computing Network has been
>hastily formed to develop commercial banking codes based on
>quantum entanglement.

>  The institute was founded a few weeks after news leaked from
>  the Israel's Weizmann Institute that it was using a mixture of
>  quantum computing and special optical technology to break
>  the RSA-512 code, the system used by the European banking
>  system. It claims it has developed a hand-held device that
>  can break the code in 12 microseconds.

>The "special optical technology" sure sounds like someone has
>implemented Shamir's TWINKLE already.

>[TWINKLE I can believe. Quantum computers sound fishy. --Perry]
>Is there any truth to this?
>
>http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/09/29/timintint02001.html?1
341861

The short answer seems to be 'No.'

Venerable as the Times of London is, I've found the
fact-checking at the Sunday Times to be wanting on
occasion. While www.eiqc.org is a real web site, it is
curiously content free - the only contact points listed
are email addresses in other domains, and the only
'meat' in terms of quantum research lie in pointers to
other sites, none of which mention a working quantum
computer. It's particularly interesting that the EIQC
site mentions nothing about the Weizmann Institute's
purported use of quantum and optical methods to quickly
crack RSA-512, since that is the alleged reason for it
was created.
.
The only paper directly referenced is TWINKLE, and that's
refered to at jya.com, rather than WPI (where the paper
was presented), or Technion U. (where the research was
done).

I asked Bob Silverman, the Senior Research Scientest
and factoring expert here at RSA Security, about
this, and his opinion was that the EIQC and the claims
for a working quantum computer were almost certainly a
hoax.

I think the Times got snookered on this one.

Peter Trei
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Disclaimer: The above represents my (and Bob's)
personal opinions only, and should not be
construed as neccesarily representing those of
our employer.