At Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:16:29 +0800, Ng Pheng Siong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 01:11:19AM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Lessee,  the backup tapes are across the room by the coffee maker.
>
>Dan Boneh has a paper on revocable backups. It describes encrypting
>backups by random keys; to revoke a particular backup, instruct the OS
>(or backup app, don't remember which) to forget the particular key
>used.

I've no doubt this can be done but I'm not sure how this is legally different from an
encrypted backup for which the passphrase has mysteriously gone missing when
your favorite TLA drops by for a chat.  The backup in question may be utterly
irretrievable but given current and pending legislation in various jurisdictions, the
mere presence of physical media with random bits may be enough to land you in
hot water despite your protestations.

-Lucas

Get HushMail. The world's first free, fully encrypted, web-based email system.
Speak freely with HushMail.... http://www.hushmail.com