In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Allen Ethridge writes:
> On 10/13/99 at 7:49 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Gutmann) wrote:
>
> > Why not refrain in the *expectation* that it'll be done incompetently?
> >
> > If they want to play big brother, why not give them more than enough rope,
> > point at a conveniently-placed tree limb if necessary, and then stand back?

My concern is my privacy -- a poorly-designed system is likely to let lots of
folks in, not just law enforcement officers operating under a legitimate
warrant.

> None of these things happened when CALEA was implemented in the traditional
> circuit-switched voice network. CALEA advocates already have a success to poi
> nt
> to.

CALEA is not yet implemented; among the reasons are that the requirements from
the FBI mandate a complex, expensive design.  In other words, it's not a
success.

                --Steve Bellovin